Are you allowed to use a brand for your artist name?

G-Prynce

Just wondering if you're allowed to use a brand such as 'Rolex' along with another name for an artist's name or a record label. Thanks.

(This thread is probs in the wrong section so move it if necessary).

if it is a well known brand then probably not (unless you can convince them to sponsor you) - i.e. known brands tend to dislike being associated with anything that tarnishes or damages their image/reputation\|: just look at all the sponsors who recently fled FIFA with all the corruption associated with it

It would be pretty tough to make that happen if they have rights to the name and they are well known, my guess is that you can get away with it if you change the spelling.

....people in the Rap genre do it all the time with brands and the like....

A couple off the top of my head are Snoop dogg, justice league, Maybach music..

Doesn't mean it wont/can't end up in litigation at some point..

If it's not allowed, I have no idea how Gucci Mane still has his name. I'm guessing it depends which brand, and if they allow it.

I think a lot of brands take an approach whereby they see themselves as an already defined and established brand in a market. If they see someone using their brand name, they tend not to care because they probably believe that consumers can define a difference between (i.e.) Gucci Mane, and Gucci.

Iggy Azalea has a song called "Rolex", and there is also the song "Gucci Gucci".
From what I know, you can use the name unless it's reserved. (where all of them are) (which basically means you can't)
You can however add in a word like "Gucci Mane" or "Chanel West Coast".
Just keep in mind you can't use their brand logo for promotional reasons, so design a completely different logo!

Back