Working at a Recording Studio?

RyanTrapstar

I kinda would like to work in a recording studio, any kind to be honest I just love to be around audio and music .. I live in New York by the way..

Anybody know anyone who works at a recording studio?

I kinda would like to work in a recording studio, any kind to be honest I just love to be around audio and music .. I live in New York by the way..

Anybody know anyone who works at a recording studio?

Yes, I know lots of who work at working studios. I work at a few myself.

could you tell me what itsl like? what do most people do ?

& do you think it's worth pursuing as a career if you really love it?

I've been blessed to have worked in a few for small periods.

Honestly, there is a lot of grind, though there are good times to make up for it. Lots of 1am finishes while your ears feel like they are bleeding trying to mix tracks down properly, deadlines looming, trying to keep recording sessions on schedule so the next booking can get in on time...etc. The money wasn't terrific either.

Some people think it is just headbopping and working with truly talented artists, but 75% of people who I worked with/for in the studios I was at either couldn't sing, or did music I just couldn't vibe to. Death metal was the worst.

There were a few decent rappers who I managed to source beats to, but it wasn't the fairytale I thought it would be. Be realistic about it and if you truly don't mind the grind and the bad parts, you will find that the good times really do make up for it.

I've been blessed to have worked in a few for small periods.

Honestly, there is a lot of grind, though there are good times to make up for it. Lots of 1am finishes while your ears feel like they are bleeding trying to mix tracks down properly, deadlines looming, trying to keep recording sessions on schedule so the next booking can get in on time...etc. The money wasn't terrific either.

Some people think it is just headbopping and working with truly talented artists, but 75% of people who I worked with/for in the studios I was at either couldn't sing, or did music I just couldn't vibe to. Death metal was the worst.

There were a few decent rappers who I managed to source beats to, but it wasn't the fairytale I thought it would be. Be realistic about it and if you truly don't mind the grind and the bad parts, you will find that the good times really do make up for it.

I know what you mean. When I was a kid, I bought a MIDI keyboard from pawn shop and told the owner I wanted to make beats and he mentioned he owned a studio and invited me over. I thought it would be cool listening to a bunch of rappers and stuff, but it was actually boring, hot and stuffy, and pretty much shitty people recording stupid shit. I remember this guy recording his EP thinking he some John Mayer shit when he sounded like a nerdy 12 year old moaning because his Mom making him do laundry.

I don't know about most people as it depends on what kind of studio you work for. The more professional ones I work for everyone is there working on projects. Long nights, hard deadlines. Lots of serious artists and music professionals in and out throughout the day. Most are repeat customers (bigger clients) you run into a lot of musicians.

Less professional studios, same as above, but generally more bullshit. Bigger crowds, more geared to collecting money from producers and artists. A lot of times I have to run the sessions. This both fun and frustrating as some clients know exactly what they're after and others don't, so there is a lot of back and forth and generally a lot of unhappy clients in the end.

What I mean by professional is not the gear or how the setup looks, but how the business is structured.

Back