Why would anyone sell their beats???

[John Doe]

$-------$--------$
To me it seems like everyone is rushing to sell the rights to their beat which could blow up leave them without any royalties?
If someone is an In-house producer for a rapper does that mean they do a partial rights contract for every beat? I know rappers I could give beats to but I want my share of any future royalties **** a one time fee......

can someone plz clarify this I feel like I'm probably just not understanding something fundamental to the equation

I basically want to give my beats to ppl for mixtape but protect my possible future earnings from my beats

,thank you

unless you sign away your rights for that one time fee, you still automatically get royalties delivered from publishing, mechanical reproduction rights including broadcast and internet streamed radio, synchronisation rights

it is down to you how you structure the sale of your beats.

Some guys demand a high up front fee that is then offset against initial royalties until that fee is recouped by the buyer: it is a way of being able to pay the bills that have accumulated during the creation of that beat/tune/song without taking a risk as to when you get paid - the cycle for payments lags by up to a year from when the money is earned (and you do not get paid any of the interest that may been earned in whatever bank account the money sits for that period of time), so it is best to be paid an up front usage fee that does not deny you your royalties

To me it seems like everyone is rushing to sell the rights to their beat which could blow up leave them without any royalties?
If someone is an In-house producer for a rapper does that mean they do a partial rights contract for every beat? I know rappers I could give beats to but I want my share of any future royalties **** a one time fee......

can someone plz clarify this I feel like I'm probably just not understanding something fundamental to the equation

I basically want to give my beats to ppl for mixtape but protect my possible future earnings from my beats

,thank you

people don't sell their mixtapes, the norm is a large one-time fee for payments

rappers can tour and it does leave the producer with the $*** end of the stick, that's just how it goes... an album placement is another story

Rappers are not recouping royalties as fast like the early 2000's. So many producers are taking the upfront route. So that is what i would recommend. Even though you seem against it.

To be honest I 100% recommend leasing instrumentals, the rights are still yours and via contract you grant the other party permission to use and make sales from the record you collaborate on. But like the others said if your selling an instrumental exclusively then that upfront fee needs to be great because of how the royalties work.

If you make good beats and know what you are doing, then you will know that you are a songwriter and not a producer, and that you licence your beats, not sell them or lease them. The moment you start giving away free beats to or leasing them for $10 to some 30 year old who raps on his way to his McDonald's job, you will always be that producer and nobody who takes music seriously will take a second glance at your work. You got to have standards, and stop giving away/leasing your hard work to people who do it for fun and don't even have 100 views on their current work.

Back