Why should I sell a beat that's allready been Lease a lot of time for an exclusive ?

blackass

Why artists buy more Lease than Exclusive Beat ? I mean no track out to remix or mix with vocal their song. So why these rappers would buy a track "Lease" or "Non Exclusive" when they know that if the track is available in "Exclusive Right" too, somebody will buy that same track in "Exclusive Right" and be the owner of the track for their Real Solo or Group album not for just Demo, Mixtape, youtube Video or else ? I found that weird ? and also when they know that anybody could do the same and be singning on the same track they rap. If I was a rapper I wouldn't want to sing my Original Song on the same beat that Jay-z or anybody else did but that's me.

Last edited:
Buying exclusive rights to an instrumental may not be worth the cost to some artists (especially new ones). Based on my experience with mixing, some artist may simply not care or may be ignorant of the benefit to having the individual files of an instrumental. A lot of rappers tend to send me a single audio file for their instrumental and a few tracks for their vocals. Sucks for the engineer, but saves the artist money (all at the expense of likely having a lower quality mix).

When selling leases, you could try to be more persuasive with advertising exclusive rights to see if that changes more peoples opinions on what type of lease they buy.

I would also add one thing

You seem to have confused exclusive with a buyout which is not necessarily the case

- an exclusive means no-one else has access to it not that the artist owns the track

- i.e. they pay a higher fee for exclusive use of the beat but you still own all of the important rights associated with them using the track exclusively

if they own every part of the track, including all rights, then you have given them a buyout or a work for hire deal, at an even larger fee I would hope, to compensate for lost future earnings

Last edited:
If your Exclusive license prices are low they will sell.

The fact is that a lot of the cats buying music are 9-5 working cats with a dream.
Their budget reflects this and your prices should too if you're intent on maximizing sales.

$.02

If your Exclusive license prices are low they will sell.

The fact is that a lot of the cats buying music are 9-5 working cats with a dream.
Their budget reflects this and your prices should too if you're intent on maximizing sales.

$.02

Those type of people shouldn't even be interested in exclusive licences. Unless you're on a label or independent taking it serious getting real studio time and have a real following, an exclusive licence is a waste of money. Lease a beat for $25 or download some instrumental off YouTube. Nobody's going to listen to a 30 year old that works at Wal-Mart rap anyways. And whoever does sell exclusive licences to these type of people is stupid too. You aren't getting any royalties. And you ask for what, a $100 advance? Your work is like a fine lady. Soon as you start letting everybody who work at a gas station hit it, that's all that'll ever be interested in you.

Those type of people shouldn't even be interested in exclusive licences. Unless you're on a label or independent taking it serious getting real studio time and have a real following, an exclusive licence is a waste of money. Lease a beat for $25 or download some instrumental off YouTube. Nobody's going to listen to a 30 year old that works at Wal-Mart rap anyways. And whoever does sell exclusive licences to these type of people is stupid too. You aren't getting any royalties. And you ask for what, a $100 advance? Your work is like a fine lady. Soon as you start letting everybody who work at a gas station hit it, that's all that'll ever be interested in you.

At the end of the day its all art and it comes down to what you want [and can get] for your work.
If you want to get top dollar for your music, there's a market for that.
If you want to get a few hundred for your music there's a market for that too.

For some, their work is like a "fine lady" - for others, she a $2 hoe.

Its all a matter of individual opinion, preference and perspective.

I personally like the opportunity to work with guys on the come up.

I like to feel like I'm helping others get closer to their goals and dreams.

So I price my music accordingly.

Last edited:
thanks for the ideas !!! and answer !!!! I was just telling what I see and I found that weird That a rapper will say "I will rap on a beat that is not mine" or will say "I will rap and do an original song with my own ideas on a beat that's been used by maybe 5 others rappers before or more" Exemple : 50 cent - candy shop Beat will still be recognize for the song Candy Shop By 50 Cent. Any rappers could make an original song on that Beat but that beat will still be remember for Candy Shop not for whoever name he is unknown rapper. I just don't understand why beside the fact that Rappers are cheap (maybe not but) and don't want to pay for a 600$ US exclusive Right Beat. Your song should be your song not somebody else song and also your song should be remember for your song with your rapper name on it not for another dude that sing on the same beat as yours but crush the beat better. Another Exemple: Tyga- Lap Dance and Snoop Dogg - Platinum feat R.Kelly Same shit one for a mixtape and the other one for a real solo album !!!!!!

thanks for the ideas !!! and answer !!!! I was just telling what I see and I found that weird That a rapper will say "I will rap on a beat that is not mine" or will say "I will rap and do an original song with my own ideas on a beat that's been used by maybe 5 others rappers before or more" Exemple : 50 cent - candy shop Beat will still be recognize for the song Candy Shop By 50 Cent. Any rappers could make an original song on that Beat but that beat will still be remember for Candy Shop not for whoever name he is unknown rapper. I just don't understand why beside the fact that Rappers are cheap (maybe not but) and don't want to pay for a 600$ US exclusive Right Beat. Your song should be your song not somebody else song and also your song should be remember for your song with your rapper name on it not for another dude that sing on the same beat as yours but crush the beat better. Another Exemple: Tyga- Lap Dance and Snoop Dogg - Platinum feat R.Kelly Same shit one for a mixtape and the other one for a real solo album !!!!!!

In licensing Rap Music, I have found that there are multiple opinions floating around about exclusivity.

Two of the more popular ones I've encountered are:

1. Exclusive means for "me only" - no one else has heard or used this beat.
2. Exclusive means "I don't have to pay anymore licensing fees for this beat" - I don't owe anything if I blow up using this beat.

I've dealt with both types and from my experience I've found that a lot of these cats don't care about others on the beat.
They look at it like their song is the best and that is one reason why they buy the exclusive usage rights.

If you're in it to get rich, you are in the wrong genre. You will never drive a Bugatti as a songwriter or producer in the hip hop/rap genre. The ones who are, aren't in that position because of their beats. They have their own publishing company, label, etc. And many are artists themselves. Even if you do become a hot commodity, it's for one or two Summers. If you want to make money, make catchy pop/EDM tunes for professional labels or for the Film & TV industry.

I've dealt with both types and from my experience I've found that a lot of these cats don't care about others on the beat.
They look at it like their song is the best and that is one reason why they buy the exclusive usage rights.

What shock me the most is when I see Beatmakers (Like me) selling the same beat for a lease and also an exclusive. Ok it's good for business but for legal matter is a puzzle maybe if you said in your contact that beat could have been lease before once the track is bought with exlcusive right nobody can touche it anymore. I found that strange that somedoy would make an original album solo his first or more an put beat that's been rap on. I understand more why but i"m still NOT Ok with that way of selling things.

Last edited:
I always tell artists to start out with the lease. Put it out there and see what type of responses u are getting and then if u feel like it is worth it and will be hurt if another artist gets the beat then buy the exclusive. As a producer im not really interested in selling exclusives unless the payment is worth it.

There's this site called Muzache where they only deal with exclusive licenses. I think they are mostly aimed at labels and established artists or songwriters. Apparently you get to set your own price.

There's this site called Muzache where they only deal with exclusive licenses. I think they are mostly aimed at labels and established artists or songwriters. Apparently you get to set your own price.

Broadjam great too, although it's more geared towards getting Film & TV gigs.

If someone wants it sell it to them, regardless of how many times it has been leased. If no one buys it exclusively then keep leasing the *&*^ out of it. Make your money!! You gotta hustle those beats man.

Back