Why only a few make a living off selling beats?

varun213

It seems now with the over saturation and ease of making beats that its nearly impossible to earn a living off trying to be a music producer.

Looks as though the top 10% out of the billions actually earn a living doing this @@@@.

Too many producers just give away free beats for social proof which in turn has @@@@@@ the rep of most producers

=====================================

Edit-- Please use appropriate language. Warning number 1... GJ

Last edited by a moderator:
From a more positive outlook, I think it is just making the field more competitive. You will have your large group of producers that will never create, only mimic, and do the same "type" beats as everyone else. So that will make producing music seem as common as waking up in the morning. Everybody does it. So if more people are doing it, the competition will naturally rise just like in anything else.

It seems now with the over saturation and ease of making beats that its nearly impossible to earn a living off trying to be a music producer.

As a music producer you can still earn a living.

As a beat maker only - you will struggle.

Take into account that there was never an era when it was easier and/or harder to make it in music as every era has saturation, the main issue is the narcissism of social media makes it seem as everyone and their Mama is whatever title one can be in the industry.

Ask yourself why would any rapper and/or singer pay for beats when paying for beats in this era is not to be seen as investing in one's career.

Don't consume yourself with making a living off of what you want to do.

Ask yourself why would any rapper and/or singer pay for beats when paying for beats in this era is not to be seen as investing in one's career.

Actually quite a few rappers buy beats from me pretty regularly.

[Serious] artists understand that quality production costs and are prepared to compensate the beatmaker / producer if they want to use the music. On that same token tho, you do have an element of "I can get this for free" floating around as well so you gotta be smart in your dealings.

$.02

How many on average? I'd work w/you if I were in your area and vice versa.

Its a mixed bag.

Some weeks are better in terms of Beat sales.

TBH I work with a lot of cats through the web.

I haven't recorded artists in quite some time.

Having the revolving door on my home studio got old pretty fast.

Most of the time the recording / mixdown is done at the artist's "Go to" recording spot.

Sometimes the files are sent back to me for mixdown / final edits.

I good with it either way.

Here's a recent track I did:

H2MG AR ft Mozzy: Mind made

I got 5 tracks on that project.

All done remotely.

Back