Why do artists always want FREE beats?

D

D-Funkdafied

I have been producing for years now and I have sold beats.
I am trying to get my music out there much more as well as making more sales.

So I network online and promote daily, 90% of the time rappers are interested in getting beats but they assume I am giving it away free especially when they clearly see my website and it says nothing about FREE beats?

It all goes well until buying comes into it. They say "send it to my email"... As if they will have it free...

Am I doing something wrong or are these artists today to tight?

There's lots of reasons let me rattle off a few

1) Because lots of others give beats away free
2) they don't see any value in your material
3) They don't see any value in your brand or lack there of
4) They don't plan on making money from it so.... don't feel the need to pay
5) They feel as if their vocals is a fair trade

Because music, and for that matter, beats are FREE in this digital era. Think about it, would you pay for vst's and software when you can just pirate/warez it for the free?

It's the brand loyalty and trust that makes people buy from you.

I am pretty loyal to propellerheads brand. I have been using their DAW for years. I trust their products. Therefore I will buy all of their shit legit when I have the money and won't even think of looking at another DAW

With beats and music you need to put your stuff out there across the internet untagged and free to download. People will come across it, and they will come to your website to buy. I've gotten beat sales just from people hearing my beats on other sites like youtube. And that's from not promoting/marketing at all.

For the 90% of rappers online that want free beats, let them record on your beats as long as they credit you. If and when they get really serious about their craft and they know you've delivered hot beats to them in the past, they will be loyal to your brand and come buy your stuff. Otherwise it's just free promotion for you.

Also, not only rappers buy beats. There's indie filmmakers, game developers, youtube video makers, website owners, and other content creators that need beats for their projects. So it's really important to have your beats online where people can see them so they can find you.

Last edited:
^^ Good points

If were a artist. I wouldn't purchase a beat. Full production on the other hand... Yes
If you're planning on diving into film and games/tv start learning other genres of music. It pays good, but hiphop isn't as popular in those areas. Hardwork, but fun, I love it, took the plunge in 2006, never went back to working with artists

Last edited:
I have no trouble with having my music up.
I have my beats everywhere but it just seems so hard for people to buy.

What else can I do?

What else can I do?

How long have you had your beats up across the internet? It takes time for the exposure. And it's almost always completely random making sales for me. Sometimes I have an ok month, and sometimes I have a bad month. I think it's a snowball effect, just takes time.

I JUST started putting my stuff out there earlier this year though. You can do things like google adwords and pushing your website link also to speed things up a bit but google adwords is expensive as sh*t.

Mailing list is probably how you will make most of your direct sales.

---------- Post added at 09:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

^^ Good points

If were a artist. I wouldn't purchase a beat. Full production on the other hand... Yes
If you're planning on diving into film and games/tv start learning other genres of music. It pays good, but hiphop isn't as popular in those areas.

Yea If I was an artist just starting off I would use free beats. Once I have myself established I would start going to a beatmaker/producer that I trust for beats.

I've composed a few soundtracks for indie games and yea it's nice being able to compose other genres cause you can tap into different markets.

Imho, the demand for royalty-free music and beats is pretty high. But the exposure to your music is really important, that's why i wish i would have put my stuff out there earlier

Last edited:
I put some of my first beats up which were bad and amateur. I have been uploading my music for 3 years.
Only in the past 6-12 months have I set up my site, more accounts, networked and et cetera. But before I did that I was STILL making some sales.

I would love to get my music used elsewhere lie video games and films and et cetera. Can anyone give advice on where I can successfully achieve that? Who can I contact.. Where...?

What else can I do?

I've answered this for you many times in multiple threads. You have to connect with serious clients aka people that are making money from their business

Do not relay on selling beats as your main income stream. Start thinking Multiple Streams of income from here on out:

Since it appears that your website is your main modality for making money...CHANGE IT! You basically have the same website as every other guy that's selling beats online.

1.All those non- professional pics of you need to come down. Noone care's that you like GTA! Put up some 1080/20mp+ professional pics of you in a professional studio and/or nightclub... posted up with smiling-happy-artist and hot women.

2.Shorten your bio...waaaay to much irrelevant fluff about your personal life and city. I suggest you study books on sales copy and copywriting...spruce your bio up and sell them on your ability to collaborate and get results(MONEY and PAYING SHOW'S). What are the sales figures for all these artist you worked with, put them up! Where do they perform..any sell out crowds...put it up! Only number's I see are OLD years...take that down!

3.Your production credits and the artist you have worked with should be the first thing people see and hear...not "beat leases" on the front page. All that myflashplayer stuff get's in the way of selling your real service...PRODUCTION SERVICES/CONSULTATION...not beats. You need more video's of artist performances and interview's(TESTIMONIES). They need to be the ones saying how much your services helped them get PAYING GIGS AND SALES.

3a.The Veneno-"Phantom Gun em down" video is playing waaaaaaaaaaay at the bottom. That should be at the very top since it is your latest project.(Re-mixed/Mastered) Underneath that should be a video of him performing this live at some venue. If he doesn't perform, from now on.. find artist that do and make sure they document their performances. Go to the show and have some hot club chick with glitter on her face say "Your at Dfunkdafied.com"..all this with YOUR MUSIC BOOMING and the artist performing. Under that should be an interview of him talking about your service and how it affected his getting gigs/album/goals/sales ect.ect.

4.Sell the sizzle. I don't see any parties, female's, car's, clothes, money ect.ect...all the stuff associated with G-FUNK/west coast type music...on the front page. You want the artist to feel inspired when they come to your page...not like a customer. You can always setup another General/niche page if you plan to genre hop and boost your fanbase.

Use the net to find the indie guy's who are putting in work. Initiate project's and CHOOSE your clients. The only free beats/services should be marketed towards artist you want to develop fully and/or produce/market and distribute FULL ALBUMS with.

Your problem is that you are not building any referrals or reputation. Use those free beat request to upsell/convert/squeeze prospects into successful, performing clients and artist with long careers.

Boost your knowledge base into artist management, internet marketing, negotiating, joint ventures, and inbound Sales. It's 2013, the day's of bedroom producing, falling back and passivly making a million bucks.. NEVER EXISTED. Manage, produce and market. Sweat. Hustle. Get out the house!

Recommended reading:
"Artist Management" by Paul Allen
"No B.S Direct Selling" and "Marketing to the affluent" by Dan Kennedy
"Secret's Closing the sale" by Zig Ziglar
"Rework" by Jason Fried
"Four Hour Workweek" by Tim Ferris
"Multiple Streams of Income" by Robert Allen

Peep this, there are three parts.

Last edited:
Great information from "Bloody Glove" - I will definitely save it to a document.

As for dudes who think I should sell something else, then WHAT? If not beats then... WHAT?

Great information from "Bloody Glove" - I will definitely save it to a document.

As for dudes who think I should sell something else, then WHAT? If not beats then... WHAT?

An actual production service, not just beats. People will pay for 'production' vs a beat. That's just one thing.

Glove gave some you some good foundation, but pay attention what others are doing and go above them. Basic marketing principles work in all fields.
Also know that split testing is going actually tell and show you what converts best

Last edited:
OK. I will definitely add more services to my site that I can offer for both producers and artists.
I have a few ideas already, Any suggestions of what works online?

I disagree with the idea that you can't sell beats online because of free downloads. I know several producers who have had their entire libraries free download for years and are some of the most successful producers on the internet not to mention I myself have sold several beats and I give away free beats all the time. It is about having a sound marketing plan and putting the work in to get people to want to buy from you.

In my opinion, there are a lot of rappers out there with thousands of hits.
If you look at the producers & beatmakers they work with, MAYBE hundreds.
As an Emcee, I get it, everyone is trying to eat out here. so charge the crap out of whack rappers.
But if a talented kat comes along and that has potential & is doing demo work, not making money off their music & sending in to record labels..
Giving them a beat wouldn't hurt, because they are the ones promoting you at that point. for free.
Especially if their work has value, you as a producer need to get heard & promoted. So in a long run, you are investing in yourself through good artists, regardless of what they have to spend on your beat at the time.
But yes, the majority of the game is penny pinching rappers with no reach or promotion base. Find the gems with the lyrics & quality message, they will take your instrumentals far & get you business.

Glove hit it on the head with everything.

If they want free beats, hell give them a free beat with your tag but exchange it for their email so you can keep in contact with them. Use Aweber. It works trust me.

Some may not have the funds to buy beats or don't trust you or see the value in your beats at the time. Gotta sell what your beats will do for them in the long & run build up that relationship with them.

All the SERIOUS artists aren't gonna want free beats forever. The market is still very huge with people buying beats all over the world.

Back