Why are 360 deals looked down upon?

^^^If I had one, I'd be executing it, lol. I'm ahead of most, at least I know that's all I need right now, lol. :cheers:

A good example of a plan would be PSY and how he(and his label) made a video with the intensions of it going viral on the web. Where he has been propelled because of that...man, bet the labels happy if that guy is under a 360 deal...need to investigate that.

Another plan was the underground promoting tactics of Kendrick Lamars album. Convince everyone that they're the only one who knows who a guy is, get a buncha rappers to cosign him(all connected to his label), and put out a good product(yeah, I said it, a good product even if I don't think it's the best thing since bread and butter like the rest of you), and you don't need to over advertise...the word of mouth does all the work. I somehow get the idea Kendrick may not have done as good as they wanted him to though. He did great(may have done better than expected), but not sure what they expected with the way they were pushing him.

And you can always put together a pop boy band. Those guys never flop(joke).

It can be good or bad depending on the terms and goals of both parties.

What are some terms if you can think of any?

I planned to run the label myself with no employees, so I figured a 50/50 split on everything besides show money would be pretty fair. I might try and take a little more for album sales.

Well if the label is the one booking shows, getting them endorsements, etc, why shouldn't they take a percentage?

I would concur with you however that is not the case for many artist. Many artist were generating a buzz on their own for a label to even be interested. So for instance Drake was probably getting shows way before he signed his recording contract. Same thing with chief Keef he was getting shows way before he signed his recording contract. The label basically argues that they are promoting your record and yadadaad. But in reality when your that Caliber artist, like a Wayne, Drake, Wiz, Currensy etc the dope records will take off on their own strong enough to generate a independent touring buzz.So for instance chief Keef already generated a million fan view buzz before interscope signed him. So for a person like him a 360 deal would just take away from what he already created for himself. Traditionally pre recession recording deals were void of this extra stipulations, I feel the additions take away from the artistry. As an artist I would not like to sign a 360 contract, due to the prime fact of a label putting their hand into every aspect of my business where as in the recent past, they would only take revenue from particular aspects of the recording contract. But thats the price you may have to pay for the quick fame. If you go the indie route and put that work in you can buzz hard enough to have a lot of leverage. That solution seems to be the most viable way to counter act 360 deals. Get the clout.

I would concur with you however that is not the case for many artist. Many artist were generating a buzz on their own for a label to even be interested. So for instance Drake was probably getting shows way before he signed his recording contract. Same thing with chief Keef he was getting shows way before he signed his recording contract. The label basically argues that they are promoting your record and yadadaad. But in reality when your that Caliber artist, like a Wayne, Drake, Wiz, Currensy etc the dope records will take off on their own strong enough to generate a independent touring buzz.So for instance chief Keef already generated a million fan view buzz before interscope signed him. So for a person like him a 360 deal would just take away from what he already created for himself. Traditionally pre recession recording deals were void of this extra stipulations, I feel the additions take away from the artistry. As an artist I would not like to sign a 360 contract, due to the prime fact of a label putting their hand into every aspect of my business where as in the recent past, they would only take revenue from particular aspects of the recording contract. But thats the price you may have to pay for the quick fame. If you go the indie route and put that work in you can buzz hard enough to have a lot of leverage. That solution seems to be the most viable way to counter act 360 deals. Get the clout.

Your argument is flawed. Drake was never getting the types of shows he gets now when he wasn't signed. You think these big name artists are gonna want to schedule their own world tours? No, they're not. A 360 deal wouldn't take anything away from them because most record executives already have the connections needed for these big name tours, unlike the artists. They'd be able to negotiate better contracts for each show than the artist would.

Back