Who pays for studio time?

artkeytex

Hi guys,

This is my first time posting on the forum and I have a couple questions regarding studio time. I am currently managing an independent EDM artist/producer (not signed to a label). My artist decided he wants a rapper to rap over his next release so I reached out to an acquaintance of mine to collaborate. The rapper is also independent, however he has worked with some big name artists and producers. My artist was the sole producer on this track and the rapper will be a feature on the track ("My artist" Ft. "Rapper"). I am wondering who pays for studio time in this situation? Do we split the cost of studio time?

I am also a producer and the same rapper is eager to record on some of my tracks. These tracks would be for his own project and I am not charging him for the tracks. In this case, who would pay for studio time?

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated!

Not sure why you'd want to book studio time purely for one rapper these days? Seems like a waste of money.. a quiet room, a good mic.
All you need, as long as you can keep the noise levels low, you're all good because with rap you generally want the vocals to be up front.
If it's gonna involve any auto-tune at all it's completely pointless because it'll smash the hell out of your pristine studio recording anyway.
If you're keeping them natural, the extra quality you'd get from doing it in a studio is pretty much inconsequential.. it's not gonna sell one unit more for it.
To my mind, if money wasn't the object I'd still consider it to be too much of hassle to bring everyone together, book the time in, do the fucking thing, do it again.. and again..
because everybody is stressed and awkward. Oh shit, time is running out..
Do it at your own studio and put the money towards having a great master done. That WILL sell more units.

A studio is just a room full of gear after all. Just my two cents.

When I was rapping and a producer invited me to his (or a) studio to feature on a track, I wouldn't expect to be handed a bill afterwards.
If that's a problem that's something to work out in advance. In the case where you're producing for him it's only natural that you agree to a split that represents each role in the project.
A guest slot should remain a guest slot though.

You can make any arrangements you like (however I'll-advised), as long as they are spelled-out on paper and agreed upon (signed) by all parties involved.

Back