Where do major artist get there beats???

Dennis1990

For example:
Young Money

Lil Wayne
Nicki Minaj
Drake

To me they usually have beats from producers who have big names already (besides the producers who been with them since day 1).

Is it there managers who request beats from these major producers or is the relationship between them and the producer?

Because usually the producer would have only like 1 or 2 songs on their album?

For example:
Young Money

Lil Wayne
Nicki Minaj
Drake

To me they usually have beats from producers who have big names already (besides the producers who been with them since day 1).

Is it there managers who request beats from these major producers or is the relationship between them and the producer?

Because usually the producer would have only like 1 or 2 songs on their album?

Drake has a real producer that he uses exclusively. He makes Drake's beats and also decides what beats he wants on drake's album from other producers. I think his name is 40 or something. As for the rest those cats, they work with the same producers they always work with but may get referrals from those producers and their close knit network.

Most major artists don't get tracks from a random producer unless someone in their production team, A&R team or management team's circle vouches for them. Too many legal issues and garbage to dig through to get to great material.

Cheers!

Most major artists don't get tracks from a random producer unless someone in their production team, A&R team or management team's circle vouches for them. Too many legal issues and garbage to dig through to get to great material.

Or

You, as a producer, make enough noise with your own movement that they come looking for you...

usually they have in house producers, or they will get a beat from a producer online, usually found because they have good marketing or huge momentum behind their brand in terms of relevance

Drake has a real producer that he uses exclusively. He makes Drake's beats and also decides what beats he wants on drake's album from other producers. I think his name is 40 or something.
Cheers!

His name is 40 as you said, he has other producers too like boi-1da, mike zombie etc

A lot of well known artists and musicians get there beats from producers that promote themselves on the internet without us "listeners" even realizing it. Of course each artist has a person or label that will consider instrumentals for them, but most of the time, specifically relating to your rapper artist, they get their beats from just about anywhere from the online producers they've never even met before.

its called having a network. Most big name artists get beats from people they already know (read: have worked with before). Its more rare to see a completely unknown kat accessing a major artists let alone giving him a beat. It does happen but trust me its rare.

All that aside, a lot of labels release something like a call list that lets you know what artists are working on an upcoming project. If you are "in the industry", you'll know who is coming out and you can submit tracks for that project. This is how a lot of producers end up submitting for a project, and its also how several artists end up with the same beat (i.e. the Drake and Diddy situation).

Other than that, if you are a real hot producer, most artists will just come directly to you. "Hey Swizzy this is T.I. homie... you got any heat I can get on man? I need something gangsta!" etc etc...

If you're an avid sample user, your chances of landing a major record are greatly reduced these days. My work is mostly for commercials and tv, but I have close friends at VH1 and Atlantic Records (NYC). They hate wasting time to 'clear' a sample. If you can make great 'pancakes from scratch', your chances improve more than 100%. I do have friends who sell hiphop beats with samples, but less often, for less pay, and many times there's a long waiting period followed leading to eventual abandonment of the record.

As it was said, just make your own buzz. Major labels will notice you in time, if you keep grinding. Never stop on producing. It always seems to be depressing but who said that it's gonna be easy to get to the top?

Back