when to start selling beats?

reign220

ive been producing for a while and was wonder how good do your beats have to be to get them to sell?
i posted this one here the other day and was jw is this good enough to sell or no?

ive been producing for a while and was wonder how good do your beats have to be to get them to sell?

They have to be good enough to please client - simple as that. Another way to approach it is compare your quality someone else who's selling (online/offline)

But remember you are out to please the ear of the client not the ear of another producer

^ Exactly! There's no real time frame on when you should start selling your beats, it's all up to when you believe you're ready to sell, and if you believe the produce/service (your production) is up to scratch.

Id say first contact some artist/rappers/singers, whoever your focusing your music towards, sending them some beats and asking for opinions or critiques. If you feel that your producing skill level isn't up to par yet, then it'd be better to focus your efforts on IMPROVEMENT rather than on quick money. Treat your music like a craft, and you will get good enough to sell your music for money.

Also I agree with what Cyko said about not worrying about other producers opinions. Of course it's always good to get critiques, but at the end of the day you're not making music for producers, you're making it for artists, and listeners. Producers tend to have an over critical ear when listening to music, and some fall into the habit of over-dissecting music, rather than just letting themselves feel it out.

If your music is good enough to bring out a feeling from your client, then you're ready to sell!

-Stuart B

It's a combination of name recognition (which some artists buy beats for purely off namesake which is stupid), buzz, quality material and a decent demand for product (your beats). Even if you have a solid network of say 7-15 rappers that you contact often and send beats to, eventually when your shit is stepping up, you have to hit them with the "now I'm charging" email or, if you really care about the working relationship with a certain artist, you need to inform all NEW clientele that you are charging.

^ Exactly! There's no real time frame on when you should start selling your beats, it's all up to when you believe you're ready to sell, and if you believe the produce/service (your production) is up to scratch.

Id say first contact some artist/rappers/singers, whoever your focusing your music towards, sending them some beats and asking for opinions or critiques. If you feel that your producing skill level isn't up to par yet, then it'd be better to focus your efforts on IMPROVEMENT rather than on quick money. Treat your music like a craft, and you will get good enough to sell your music for money.

Also I agree with what Cyko said about not worrying about other producers opinions. Of course it's always good to get critiques, but at the end of the day you're not making music for producers, you're making it for artists, and listeners. Producers tend to have an over critical ear when listening to music, and some fall into the habit of over-dissecting music, rather than just letting themselves feel it out.

If your music is good enough to bring out a feeling from your client, then you're ready to sell!

-Stuart B

Couldn't have said it any better!

Just put 'em up, network, market and see if they sell. Artists come record in my studio all the time and bring many kind of beatz. Some I think are hot, and some I think are horrible. You never know what people are gonna like.

ok thxs for the advise everyone. can somebody tell me what is the best site to sell beats or does it really not matter?

Back