When Leasing Beats Goes Wrong

Yea, that can be a problem. When it comes to mixtapes most artists don't care if the beat was used, but if they want to use it as a single or on an "album" they'll have to pay for the exclusive so it can no longer be leased. It's up to the producer to make sure the artist is treated well. That's why producers often offer custom beats, so you know know you're the only one who has heard or used them. So in situations like these I would believe custom or private playlists for the artist is the way to go.

The point of a lease is to allow multiple artists to use your beat and to profit for your work as well. It's an affordable option for an artist and its a good way for a producer to get some promotion for their craft.The option to lease is always great... and if they like the beat that much they can always buy the exclusive. I feel as long as the artist stays within the guidelines of the lease, there should be no problem. It's up to the producer or publishing company to keep a record of the uses of the beat. When an artist leases a beat, they know the beat is not theirs exclusively. They should expect to hear the beat somewhere else. If they don't like it, buy the beat.

Last edited:
I've always said exclusive beats are better.

Only time you want a lease is when your low on cash. Exclusives are better as a product in just about every way. Of course as a resuly they cost more. A good producer though that has a good selection, don't be afraid to lease.

We're hoping to solve this problem by telling artists which other artists have been sent the same beats as them.

The feature will be available in the new artists dashboard when we roll it out soon :)

Back