When do I start promoting myself?

scrapheaper

So, I've been producing part time over the past year and I've made half a dozen finished tunes.

I kinda feel pleased with them, but in reality I know that they don't have that polished professional quality.

However, I do actually listen to a fair few artists (mostly from warp records) who also don't seem particularly polished but compensate for it by being creative.

Anyway, my question is, at what point do I start making serious effort to promote myself. There's no point promoting a load of s**t no-one's ever going to listen to, but I'm hoping my tunes aren't that bad :D

Do I practice until my tunes are better and then try and attract followers, or just get stuck in the earlier the better?

you're are already promoting yourself through Soundcloud
most of the promotion you do when first starting off will be more about spending tons time and energy(not working)networking and placing your music on free display platforms.

when do you start paying for promotion and doing serious marketing when you have a product and place ppl can go buy your product
this days a lot use a Website to do this

you're are already promoting yourself through Soundcloud
most of the promotion you do when first starting off will be more about spending tons time and energy(not working)networking and placing your music on free display platforms.

when do you start paying for promotion and doing serious marketing when you have a product and place ppl can go buy your product
this days a lot use a Website to do this

I pretty much get what I have to do, (at least at first) but that's not what I asked.
I asked whether I should do it now or do it later when my tunes are less s**t.

Last edited:
Why would you want to put time, money and effort into something you would call shit? I think you should go with the later option
I don't actually think they're shit. I just didn't want to say 'My tunes are amazing and everyone should listen to me' cause a) I sound like a wanker and b) I don't know if it's true or not.

Last edited:
I don't actually think they're shit. I just didn't want to say 'My tunes are amazing and everyone should listen to me' cause a) I sound like a wanker and b) I don't know if it's true or not.

I say you wont know when to start promoting until you start promoting. test the waters. Instead of saying is it good enough for promotion, say is it worth the promotion. If so try it out see if it works take the feedback and get back to the drawing board.

An artist stops growing once they become "satisfied" with their work - an artist will almost always feel that they can improve their craft and expression of it. However, that needs to be tempered with eventually putting that work into the world.

An artist stops growing once they become "satisfied" with their work - an artist will almost always feel that they can improve their craft and expression of it. However, that needs to be tempered with eventually putting that work into the world.

Very true. I also feel sometimes artist feel they cant do anymore when they've been in the industry for years. Speaking from a listeners point of view I wouldn't mind seeing my fav rapper/singer dip into a different genre. Even if it didn't work out and I wasn't a fan its the fact they are still creatively trying something different and perfecting themselves as an artist

Do I practice until my tunes are better and then try and attract followers, or just get stuck in the earlier the better?

what is better to you???
what reviews on your music have you attained??
I believe you're not sure if your instrumentals are bad,decent,or good
every producer has throw-aways

Anyway, my question is, at what point do I start making serious effort to promote myself. There's no point promoting a load of s**t no-one's ever going to listen to, but I'm hoping my tunes aren't that bad

a lot of producers have amazing music and hardly anyone is listening to their music
why??
1. they don't network
2.they don't know how to leverage their social network platforms
3.they are lazy when is comes to the BUSINESS of music

at what point do I start making serious effort to promote myself
now
as far as your music which is a product
when you have a product you truly believe can sell

Back