What's your opinion? Selling Non-exclusive rights and Exclusive or Exclusive only?

djtaynoel44

What's up FP. I was just in a conversation with one of my colleagues and this discussion came up. Do you think artists would be more willing to buy Exclusive rights if they knew the beat hasn't been leased a hundred times or should one just get as much money from that beat as possible? Also, would only selling Exclusive rights make you more respected in the industry or does it even matter? I would like to know your thoughts on this. Either way doesn't sound like a bad avenue.

This is more a question of morals to me.

I would NEVER sell a beat on non-exclusives and THEN sell it as an exclusive. The buyer expects it to be exclusive, they are the only ones who will be on that beat...

Like you said, it would damage my brand equity. I want artists to be able to trust me, if they didn't, that could potentially damage my reputation and sales.

Cheers,
Jordan

Yea that's how i feel. It makes the artist feel more secure. I guess it's more of a catch 22 because some artists actually don't mind this at at all

From what I've encountered, Exclusive and Non Exclusive licenses mean different things to different people.

(The short version goes like this) On one hand you have "Exclusive" meaning "you are the only one on that beat" - and on the other hand you have "Exclusive" meaning "you are the last one on that beat".

IMO Neither choice is right or wrong - it all a matter of personal preference.

Some artists don't like a ton of people on the same beat - others don't give a f*ck because they feel they can "kill the beat" in their own right..

Some producers feel like you are "whoring your beats out" if you sell non exclusives while others look at it like "hey, I'm gettin money for my work."

Its really up to you to define what road you wanna take and what your terms are for your work.

Just make sure you are transparent in your dealings. (Meaning - be upfront with cats about what it is you want and what it is you are giving them) This is essential to staying in business for a long time.

Shady cats will eventually fall off due to their bad business practices.. #jusSayin

Bottom line: People can say what they want and feel how they want but at the end of the day somebody's gonna be paid and somebody isn't.

From my experience - I'm gonna say be flexible and remain consistent.

This way people know what to expect but also look forward to working with you as well.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Ain't nothing bad about doing both as long as the customers are satisfied. Sure, i would love to sell only exclusive rights to rappers and be involved in the whole process of making music, but rappers buy non-exclusive rights more often. There's more money with selling non-exclusives and i don't care if 50 rappers lease the same beat from me, i get the money and they get the beat they like, so we're all good. It's still great for my brand because that's more rappers that are being heard on my beat(s). Even when i'm sending snippets of beats, unless the rapper asks me for exclusives that no one heard, i send him the beats that i already have in my store. I say do both, get your money and spread your music, and of course, make sure that you are transparent in your dealings like SFTRAXX said.

Artists know the beats MAY have been previously 'leased' and because of that sometimes I'm willing to negotiate the price of the exclusive licence. It's also not a bad idea to have certain beats stacked away for opportunities/artists who want those 'never been heard/leased' beats...they usually make more money too...no need to limit yourself :) #MyOpinion

Just be truthful with the artist. If you have a beat that an artist wants to get exclusively that you've already leased out before. Let that artist know that the beat is already out there. And if you've already sold an exclusive and someone else wants it. Do not resell it. Redirect him/her to a different beat. Don't lose your integrity

Artists know the beats MAY have been previously 'leased' and because of that sometimes I'm willing to negotiate the price of the exclusive licence. It's also not a bad idea to have certain beats stacked away for opportunities/artists who want those 'never been heard/leased' beats...they usually make more money too...no need to limit yourself :) #MyOpinion

Thanks that's not a bad idea at all

Thanks that's not a bad idea at all

Welcome :) Also, if you decide to do it this way, assuming you create new beats often and some might be better than those in the stack you kept away...every once in a while you might want to add a few beats to that stack and maybe take some out to sell publicly or lease or whatever...just keep things updated often enough.

Back