What's harder, producing or rapping?

Depends on the skill level. Are we talking about a MosDef / Immortal Technique / Lupe Fiasco type of rapper? Or are we talking Chief Keef / Gucci Mane / Waka Flocka / Soulja Boy type of rapper? If it's the latter, then I'd definitely without a doubt say producing is the more difficult of the two. You do all the work making a commercial quality hit, and these cats rap in slow motion about shyt they don't like.

But then again, not all productions have been the best quality. Case in point: Nas. His rhymes sound like they took time and effort to write but his beats are't the absolute best, though they are still quite good. Between him and his producers, I'd say, rapping is more difficult. But hey, that's just my opinion

Honestly it depends on how good the music (beat/lyrics) actually is. Rapping can be easy as pie, but that doesn't mean it can't be hard, and the same goes for production. Simply comparing them, I think that producing music requires more effort than rapping.

Last edited:
Producing. Literal producing, not just making some beats. You're a "beatmaker producer" or you're a "producer producer" like Quincy Jones.

Rapping is just talking rhymically into a mic. Now the writing that makes it a "rap" is what holds the weight. That can be difficult.

But I would def. say producing. Taking leadership and providing direction for say an orchestra versus writing a 16 obviously holds more weight.

Back