What's an effective beat marketing strategy online?

FlameThowa

I cannot seem to get any business online with beats! On the streets, I make enough money to live, but I want to break that internet barrier! Any suggestions?

IF you want to do good selling beats online, you are going to need 2 things - an automated beat selling website, and traffic that is driven to that website. Very simple process, but there are so many ways you can do this that is gets complicated for some ppl. But just always remember these fundamentals.

I cannot seem to get any business online with beats! On the streets, I make enough money to live, but I want to break that internet barrier! Any suggestions?

And the internet is going to be a hard barrier to break without outside promotion. Just because you uploaded some of your work onto the computer doesn't automatically catches people attention. Plus don't expect your main income to come from over the internet. You have to get back to old music business practice. Go to local studios in the area and just network your ass off and let them know what it is you do. Although, it will be highly disrespectful to tell a recording artist that you make beats and if they want to hear them go on your website. You should have some form of external source to your music to play to others. Whether it's a laptop, external hard drive, a flash drive, a mp3 player, or even a CD at least. When you put your music on the internet your throwing it out there to a audience of there's no telling how many (that's one of the reasons...why when music is finally published it don't receive no more interest...IT HAS ALREADY BEEN DEALT AND HEARD). Don't depend on the internet. If you're expecting some business offers for your music then get back to the basics.

Okay I respect what you say markeeing put you got to look at where the music busines is heading and its the internet.Labels are dieing nobody aint buying records anymore.You can make a crazy money off internet.I did a interview with a cat who made 62k of soundclick alone last year.Hell even some cats in the labels dont make that much.I have seen producers work with 50cent,Chris Brown team and s**t and they are still broke and whineing about that they dont make money.Now FlameThowa it isnt enough to just put your music out there you need to learn how to market and brand yourself.Also promoting cause when you aint doin it people just dont find you.Its like making beats in a basement and think sth going to happen in the future put actually you are doing the same things over and over again and expecting different results.Now I say you can do it on your own the whole marketing thing put its a lot of trial and error what I reccomend is join my community in my website.We have teached hundreds of producers sell beats online and give advice including exile.Website is in the signature where it says click here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay I respect what you say markeeing put you got to look at where the music busines is heading and its the internet.Labels are dieing nobody aint buying records anymore.You can make a crazy money off internet.I did a interview with a cat who made 62k of soundclick alone last year.Hell even some cats in the labels dont make that much.I have seen producers work with 50cent,Chris Brown team and s**t and they are still broke and whineing about that they dont make money.Now FlameThowa it isnt enough to just put your music out there you need to learn how to market and brand yourself.Also promoting cause when you aint doin it people just dont find you.Its like making beats in a basement and think sth going to happen in the future put actually you are doing the same things over and over again and expecting different results.Now I say you can do it on your own the whole marketing thing put its a lot of trial and error what I reccomend is join my community in my website.We have teached hundreds of producers sell beats online and give advice including exile.Website is in the signature where it says click here.
I understand where you coming from with knowing producers that's not going as well as the internet producers. The music business isn't headed into the internet...the internet his headed into the music business. The internet is just an expansion of the business. As far as the dudes that have worked with the major label artist...trust me...they got paid and it wasn't no 62K neither. Producers can be just like one hit wonder artist. They get the big check(s) for one hit and they think that they can live off of that one song for the rest of their life. But what they failed to understand is that when the label or artist stop promoting the song...no mo check for them. As a producer, you have to have a respect for your art also to have longevity. Prime example, Kanye West. Kanye has alwayz said he was a producer before he was a rapper and he continues to live by that today. Now you telling me that he is the only one that can do his music business without the internet. Not just him but any hot producer that you can name has never put their music on the internet for anyone's listening pleasers without it being a complete song. You have to appreciate the music as an art before a business or science if you want to be successful.

Kanye is using internet like itunes and youtube and I know that more than half of the people in this forum wouldnt know his new single power if it wasnt in VEVO or in that case in the internet.And I am not saying you cant live nicely if you dont use internet as a producer put if you want to have a decent income quickly and dont want to work 9-5 then you need to use the internet.I know that producers who are working with major labels and artist get big checks put you aint going to get to work with a major label in just few moths and it takes years so if you dont want to go to 9-5 then you should sell your stuff in the internet till you get that major label or artist to contact you and find you.For example I dont remember their names put cats who produced Lil Wayne ft Eminem-Drop the world starded few years ago in soundclick until recently Cash Money Records found them.My point is that why would you sell your stuff on the streets where you get limited access when you could sell your songs in the internet where you have access to the whole world and everything is automated so you make money in your sleep.And no matter what are you doing are you offline or online marketing and branding is the key element and i think that its better to do it in the internet

Kanye is using internet like itunes and youtube and I know that more than half of the people in this forum wouldnt know his new single power if it wasnt in VEVO or in that case in the internet.And I am not saying you cant live nicely if you dont use internet as a producer put if you want to have a decent income quickly and dont want to work 9-5 then you need to use the internet.I know that producers who are working with major labels and artist get big checks put you aint going to get to work with a major label in just few moths and it takes years so if you dont want to go to 9-5 then you should sell your stuff in the internet till you get that major label or artist to contact you and find you.For example I dont remember their names put cats who produced Lil Wayne ft Eminem-Drop the world starded few years ago in soundclick until recently Cash Money Records found them.My point is that why would you sell your stuff on the streets where you get limited access when you could sell your songs in the internet where you have access to the whole world and everything is automated so you make money in your sleep.And no matter what are you doing are you offline or online marketing and branding is the key element and i think that its better to do it in the internet

There's a big difference between online promotion and online sales. You're into online sales. Youtube videos and all these other media outlets are there just for promotional reasons not to make sales.

You need a domain, hosting, a well-designed website and then you need to engage in SEO (Search Engine Optimization). If your website ranks in the top 10 for Google searches that bring paying, targeted traffic to you, your marketing battle is halfway done.

Hit the Get Beat Sales link in my sig you sound like your ready to make that power move that's what's up!!

All Im saying is sell beats online and make a living while your hunting a major label spot cause you got to eat,pay your rent etc.And making a living selling beats offline in the streets when your not in the major label is hard.Thats why many of the producers sell crack to get some money.And if you dont know how to sell online i will teach you just go to my website in the signature which says click here

When selling the beats online, first of all understand this industry well. Selling beats online is profitable and achievable.The most important aspect of selling beats online is marketing. Marketing is more important to promote the beat online. Internet Marketing strategies are applied to all types of investment.

Whether you are marketing your beats online or offline, you must constantly bombard yourself with marketing knowledge. Learn the information and apply it. Another subject to study would be psychology and how the human brain works. Read books, buy online courses, sit in seminars, listen to audio courses etc. Anything you can do to improve your marketing game will help you sell more beats. Doesn't matter whether you are marketing online or offline, the marketing principles will be the same.

One of my mentors told me to "hustle on everything" when it comes to selling your beats. Sell online and offline. Shoot if you can sell to aliens in outerspace then sell your beats there! :) The key is you learning how to sell. To learn how to sell well you've got to put your marketing hat on.

Many producers that are "on" and don't have an online presence are now getting hip to selling beats online. Why? Because of the lag time between placement checks! Producers are selling beats online to provide them with another income stream.

Jahlil beats from Philly (Responsible for a lot of Meek Mill's work), Lex Lugar, & Raw Smoov (did Mullage's single "trickin" also did a lot of work with Juvenile) are producers who sell beats online as well as offline.

Everyone's strategy for marketing beats is unique, but you will need to experiment to see what's most "effective", "efficient" for you.

There was a thread posted with some general tips on how to promote stickied here

Other then Blogging is also effective way for internet marketing. After then add your blog to your website; this will help to boost up your traffic.

Keep making dope beats. Get yourself a blog/website and build a following, the money/traffic will follow if you are talented. Selling music online is tough since its hypercompetative. Keep in mind the clientele searching for beats online isn't always the best to do business with. It can be pretty frustrating at times, so I wouldn't focus too much on taking the internet over.

*Music Marketing in the Real World

Coming up on the Artists Marketing & Business Academy:

Music Marketing in the Real World - An Interview with Michael Brandvold

Thursday, April 19, 2012 at 3:00 PM ET / 12:00 Noon PT (by telephone)

What can you learn from KISS? Yes, the Band, KISS! Michael Brandvold will discuss some of the marketing lessons he learned from working with the band.

Michael Brandvold is a freelance music industry consultant based in Northern California. Having launched Michael Brandvold Marketing to leverage his years of experience to provide direction to large and small clients in the areas of online & social marketing as well as e-commerce and customer acquisition and retention.

This is an Artists Marketing & Business Academy Professional Program event. Join the ArtistMBA http://artists-edge.com/products/invest-in-success/ - Professional Program for only $10 to participate in this class. If you are already an ArtistsMBA Member, login then go to the link below to register.

For more information:
http://artists-edge.com/music-marketing ... brandvold/

I have a question though, how much can you sell a single beat for?

I guess sir you haven't wrote a business plan and did any market research??
I'm not trying to be a jerk either just pointing out if you want to run a music production business you need to research the market and understand the ins and outs

Music Business Professional Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

Back