What Are Your Objectives With Music?

Exclusivo

I've just published a post on my blog entitled "Are Your Objectives Smart?"

I imagine many of you will be interested in it. Feel free to check it out. Basic stuff and so many of you may have a good grasp of smart objectives already. It won't hurt for any of you to check it out anyway!

Out of interest, what are some of your objectives? They don't necessarily need to follow the S.M.A.R.T. framework. You may even write them after reading my blog. (Thank you if you read it!)

Personally, with my record label, I have one artist who I want to develop. A couple of my objectives specific to him are:

Number One

Create a local buzz around his debut release. I plan to release two free singles before his instrumental album. A few of those on the label will interview people in the city center with a survey (a lot of detailed specifics with the survey will come in to play). The survey will gain the data in which we can measure the success of our marketing efforts.

I hope to achieve a 5% awareness of his brand after the first single, with it rising to 15% by the second. After the album drops, I ideally want 30% of participants I ask to have heard of the album or the man behind it.

Number Two

In regards to downloads, I aim to achieve 100 downloads of each single release within the first two weeks. I plan to distribute the two singles within 2 weeks of each other. Therefore, the total aim is 200 free downloads - in the process collecting 200 email addresses for my newsletter.

Hopefully this will see the albums sales come to around 100 within the first week of release, at the (currently planned) price of £3. This will rise to 150 by the end of the second.

Number Three

Additionally, radio play is on my list of priorities. Not for the radio play itself, but building a personal relationship and an awareness with local radio hosts to both myself, the label, and the artist in question.

There are 5 stations in my region I wish to contact, and would like each of the singles to be played on at least 5 different shows - potentially on the same station. Ambitious, I know. But I believe we can achieve it.

Furthermore, there's one particular show I wish to secure the producer an interview with. Though, the idea is still up in the air right now - the producer has a thing about "being in the spotlight"...

So there are a few of my objectives for this specific release. What are some objectives you're working towards right now or planning to work towards in the future?

Cheers,
Jordan

Last edited:

The S.M.A.R.T. framework is a bunch of horse hooey made up by dorks who are trying to attain fame or success by kissing up to people richer and more successful than them. Success cannot be accurately measured and quantified.

So plan all you want. You still will probably fail. Sometimes stuff just happens.

My only objective with my music is to be able to create more music.

The S.M.A.R.T. framework is a bunch of horse hooey made up by dorks who are trying to attain fame or success by kissing up to people richer and more successful than them. Success cannot be accurately measured and quantified.

So plan all you want. You still will probably fail. Sometimes stuff just happens.

My only objective with my music is to be able to create more music.

I think the last line sums up the value of what you said quite well. It's safe to assume music is pretty much a hobby to you and you have no desire to get anything more than the ability to "create more music". You have a job and you are probably happy spending those couple of hours a week making music. (Apologies if I'm wrong.)

Whereas, many people dream of making a supplementary income from music (or more) - making it more or less a full time job. With that you must think like an entrepreneur to have any chance of the success you wish to achieve.

The S.M.A.R.T. framework is the basis of anything you are taught in business - one of the first things you learn. I entirely disagree with the first sentence of what you say. With that, you are basically rejecting all academic research and journals. Most of which was probably based off of the framework.

Additionally, success can be accurately measured. If you set out to do something and do it, you've been successful. Saying you haven't achieved success by doing what you set out to do is ignorant.

Success is also personal. You want to make more music, if you do that tomorrow, it's been a successful day. To me, that's just another day doing what I love, but it's not success. There's nothing wrong with either one of us, that's how we choose to live our lives. Different "cultures", if you like.

Cheers,
Jordan

P.S. the S.M.A.R.T. framework was born from the works of Peter Drucker and his "management by objectives" theory in the 50's, S.M.A.R.T. wasn't actually formed as an acronym until the 80's in an academic journal.

I'm one of those who is quite critical of Peter Druckers work by the way. It's quite outdated. However, S.M.A.R.T. is the best solution I've found to creating valuable objectives. When someone creates a new framework which is more modern and more importantly better, I'm sure I'll adopt the new approach.

Last edited:
be confident in your work, network, speak the truth, stay true to yourself, make sure you take advantage of all your resources, be original, and ABOVE all, have fun with it.

My objective with music is gain a strong level of musicianship to be able to express myself fluently and play, perform, and collaborate with other musicians.
Hopefully, I could make some money off of it, but that isn't my focus right now.

Great to see all of your objectives consistently include the idea of "doing what you love" and not doing it "for the money".

Back