what social media app/site do you believe is best suited to promote an EDM producer?

acetheface954

if I had to choose between facebook, youtube, instagram, soundcloud, and even twitter I'd have to go with soundcloud. the reason why is because I believe out out of the five soundcloud would be the smartest choice because all they deal with is primarily sound. audio files. no pictures, no videos, no news reels, or even posts about people ranting about their work day. just audio files. I honestly can't think of any flaw as to why it wouldn't be a good investment. if anyone has a suggestion or a rebuttal then please fire away. thanks for checking in. :D

How are you going to advertise that SoundCloud page? If you're only choosing 1, then you can only tell SoundCloud network users to check you out. I don't think I know anyone who is NOT a musician, who has a SoundCloud account. Clearly the obvious choice for hosting music, but probably the smallest reach of any you listed. Let's say you're an artist who wants to reach A&R people and labels and stuff like that... they're not on SoundCloud. I see those types on Twitter or LinkedIn, if any.

Fans want pictures, videos, some personal posts, etc. That's what social media is all about. I'd go with FB or Twitter and advertise content listed on my OWN website. I may be wrong here, but I just don't view SoundCloud as a "professional" application.

Last edited:
How are you going to advertise that SoundCloud page? If you're only choosing 1, then you can only tell SoundCloud network users to check you out. I don't think I know anyone who is NOT a musician, who has a SoundCloud account. Clearly the obvious choice for hosting music, but probably the smallest reach of any you listed. Let's say you're an artist who wants to reach A&R people and labels and stuff like that... they're not on SoundCloud. I see those types on Twitter or LinkedIn, if any.

Fans want pictures, videos, some personal posts, etc. That's what social media is all about. I'd go with FB or Twitter and advertise content listed on my OWN website. I may be wrong here, but I just don't view SoundCloud as a "professional" application.

well lucky for me I'm not an artist in search of an A&R or label. my aim is towards DJs, consumers, and blogs. and they (A&Rs and labels) may not be on soundcloud but I'm more than sure that an artist they are associated with does have one. every outlet you can think of has a system designed for soundcloud. my DAW's forum site and FP are no exceptions. side note: my god I've seen major artists on there with tens of millions of plays. not saying I will achieve those numbers but that just shows you how important this site is now. whenever I send music everyone specifically asks for a soundcloud page to hear my music. no youtube, facebook, twitter, etc. no. they ask for soundcloud. but don't get me wrong though. I despise soundcloud. but they are a necessary service to have. you mentioned twitter. dude they are the worst lol. I could go on but not even going to take up your time.

now you do realize that you yourself have a soundcloud embedded file in your signature right lol? soundcloud is a stepping stone for me. it's the fastest way for me to get anyone's attention. just click and play. nothing else. I like to look at it as an ad free, audio fle sharing youtube. the pics and videos can wait and if they're that interestedin me they can view my soundcloud profile page for my other media sites. my main focus is for them to hear what I'm about. not show off a pic of my symbol which is nice by the way lol.

now you do realize that you yourself have a soundcloud embedded file in your signature right lol? soundcloud is a stepping stone for me. it's the fastest way for me to get anyone's attention. just click and play. nothing else. I like to look at it as an ad free, audio fle sharing youtube. the pics and videos can wait and if they're that interestedin me they can view my soundcloud profile page for my other media sites. my main focus is for them to hear what I'm about. not show off a pic of my symbol which is nice by the way lol.

Yeah man I see the value in SoundCloud - you can easily post links and embed your tracks elsewhere. But how can you say its the fastest way to get "anyone's" attention? My nieces are prime music-consuming age... they aren't on SoundCloud... they're on YouTube and Facebook. Again, I have not encountered a single non-musician (aka a consumer) who has an account there. Do blogs have accounts there? Maybe some DJs, but everytime I see anyone post up their links on a promo poster or something like that, there's almost always either FB or Twitter, and sometimes SoundCloud.

I see SoundCloud more as a tool for hosting and posting music, rather than a networking site. When a track has 50,000 comments on it, I guess that's good stats, but it looks ridiculous with every message popping up for .5 seconds. I dunno.. I think the whole site looks unorganized. I get tired of it quickly.

Yeah man I see the value in SoundCloud - you can easily post links and embed your tracks elsewhere. But how can you say its the fastest way to get "anyone's" attention? My nieces are prime music-consuming age... they aren't on SoundCloud... they're on YouTube and Facebook. Again, I have not encountered a single non-musician (aka a consumer) who has an account there. Do blogs have accounts there? Maybe some DJs, but everytime I see anyone post up their links on a promo poster or something like that, there's almost always either FB or Twitter, and sometimes SoundCloud.

I see SoundCloud more as a tool for hosting and posting music, rather than a networking site. When a track has 50,000 comments on it, I guess that's good stats, but it looks ridiculous with every message popping up for .5 seconds. I dunno.. I think the whole site looks unorganized. I get tired of it quickly.

that is an excellent point. I can't even front because this was actually the argument I had with soundcloud in the past. it being a service that is made for artists is so stupid. you completely alienate the consuming market. I mean honestly why would one starving artist want to buy into your craft when they want you to buy into theirs? it's not the type of service where the average listener can talk amongst each other like youtube. the average listener doesn't need to make a page to play a track. yeah I think the timed comments are a mess myself. probably why it's not added to the app. maybe when they format their new streaming service things will get better. I'd choose facebook but it wouldn't benefit my needs since I really don't see how they would help a music producer gain popularity.

After spending a time looking at the "administrative" things of the label I'm signed, I noticed that social media sites are nothing but money seekers (the websites) and attention seekers (the users). Soundcloud has really letting me down also because of the fakes.
It's not all bad, though. between the trash, you find some legit people who wants to actually listen to your music.
You want blogs? Talk directly to the blog owner. Create your own website and route the traffic from those media sites to it.
Want a review? If you're willing to PAY, then you get it.

Basically that's it. Lot's of people screaming "ME, ME, ME" and lots of companies screaming "MONEY, MONEY, MONEY".

After spending a time looking at the "administrative" things of the label I'm signed, I noticed that social media sites are nothing but money seekers (the websites) and attention seekers (the users). Soundcloud has really letting me down also because of the fakes.
It's not all bad, though. between the trash, you find some legit people who wants to actually listen to your music.
You want blogs? Talk directly to the blog owner. Create your own website and route the traffic from those media sites to it.
Want a review? If you're willing to PAY, then you get it.

Basically that's it. Lot's of people screaming "ME, ME, ME" and lots of companies screaming "MONEY, MONEY, MONEY".

I've been down that "get a website" road before with an acquaintance of mine off here. Several acrually. I'm all for it too but not until I actually have a good amount of people who are seeking me out that actually want to keep up with my day to day. So for now my press kit link acts as a website for me. I just don't want to pay to keep another site up again knowing exactly what I want from it.

I am always willing to pay for a service whatever it may be if I will benefit from it productively whether it be a DJ pool, a app/site, or even a blog. But it has to make sense to me and produce either real numbers, interaction, or movement with my music.

if I had to choose between facebook, youtube, instagram, soundcloud, and even twitter I'd have to go with soundcloud. the reason why is because I believe out out of the five soundcloud would be the smartest choice because all they deal with is primarily sound. audio files. no pictures, no videos, no news reels, or even posts about people ranting about their work day. just audio files. I honestly can't think of any flaw as to why it wouldn't be a good investment. if anyone has a suggestion or a rebuttal then please fire away. thanks for checking in. :D

They all work well.

Back