what is the purpose of publishing a song in Reason??

Publishing in that context simply means to release as in put it out there. It has nothing to do with publishing royalties which I am sure you are thinking of.

It was something I notices in Reason 5 I think. It would actually save as a different kind of file - a published Reason song file I guess. And you would open it just like a normal reason file only you couldn't make any changes to it. I never really used it other than to test it out. Just didn't know if anyone had any info on it. I don't think Reason 6 has it, but i'll have to check.

Reason 6 has it its always been there. On the Reason forums when u wanted to share songs this was the only way that made sense back in the day as well. Back in the dial up days Reason files were often a lot smaller than mp3s I hear. I hear a lot of people did this. I never did or paid it any attention.

This was available even back in 2.5.
I published a few of my songs through the system. It's cool because you don't even have to have the sound files on your computer, all of the info is in the song file. When you click on a Reason published file you don't have to worry about not having the proper refills, it just opens.

Back