what is producer points vs songwriting royalties?

scottbrooks201

So this is the scenario that I'm confused about.

2 writers are spliting a song 50/50. Both writers get 25% of writers share and 25% of publishing share. But the beatmaker says he wants 20% of the publishing and 2 producer points.

So both writers deduct 10% of there publishing to give the beatmaker 20% publishing. I get that but what does 2 proudcer points mean?

I thought when the song sells the writers & publishers get their royalty percentage from 9.1 cents. So what where does these producer points come in?

Producer points are from the "recording" of the song, publishing/writer royalties (9.1 cents) are from the actual composition..

For instance if i do a reggae cover of a Kanye West song and put it on my album, Kanye the producer wouldn't be entitled to anything, but Kanye the writer would be entitled to his publishing/writing royalties..

Yes OP, you are very confused about all of that. Get Donald Passman's book for a start.

Producer points are from the "recording" of the song, publishing/writer royalties (9.1 cents) are from the actual composition..

For instance if i do a reggae cover of a Kanye West song and put it on my album, Kanye the producer wouldn't be entitled to anything, but Kanye the writer would be entitled to his publishing/writing royalties..

what? nah.
the producer is the writer, he wrote the melody for the beat.

anyway if you split a song equally you would both get 50 percent of the writer share and you both get 50 percent of the publishing share.
2 producer points means the producer earns 2 percent of the song's value every time a cd/download is sold. not airplay on radio or tv but actual sales.
the label calculates how much each song on the album is worth, this is not up to you.

publishing and writing splits are for airplay and tv.

All correct except the first sentence. In traditional music publishing parlance (hip-hop has always got to be different, doesn't it?), the song-writer(s) write the song (melody, harmony, lyrics). The producer can become part of the song-writing team as not just a matter of practicality but of negotiation (in order to share in the publishing).

Really (OP), you need some materials like Donald Passman's book to get some of the basics down.

There are two types of copyright on all recorded songs. First there is the song copyright. This generates the royalty payments to the writers and publishers of the song. Second is the recording copyright for the owner of that recording. This copyright generates income for the record label and from that income they pay a percentage to the artist. The producer's royalty (or "points") is often a percentage of the artist's royalty. It's all negotiable and depends on who is under contract to whom. All parties need to have a good lawyer.

Back