What is the process of choosing an artist name/ alias, do I trademark the name ?

Hyrys

Hi guys,

Hoping someone here can help me out on this, so I have been doing music as a freelance vocalist/ ghostwriter for a number of years now and so my name appears on a lot of projects I wouldn't say are my style or represent me as an artist. I am working on my debut EP and want to release it under an artist name I can then continue my career as and create content and release content under that stage name or alias.

My question is how do I do this? Is it as simple as checking if anyone big is currently using the name and if not go ahead or do I need to trademark the name or do some steps before I begin under a certain artist name.

Thanks everyone!

A trademark can be helpful. In the US, ~$300 can secure your name. I find that far more important is securing a footprint with a unique footprint. So much of today's branding efforts rely on SEO and SEM. Sites like KnowEm Username Search: Social Media, Domains and Trademarks are great for locating at a glance if a potential name is real estate that's already taken. I would start there prior to considering a registration at the USPTO.

Hope that answers your question sufficiently.

- Legend, Indie Music Business Blogger Starving Artist Suggestions

Last edited:
Back