What percentage is for producer, working with an group?

Statos

Producer
I made some beats to an dancehall project which the group contains two members, with each song will have an feat on that. It would be played on spotify, tidal and on the radio. Everyone need to get paid, but I will also do the mastering and handle the vocal mixning and etc. So I will be an producer/mix engineer on this project. The feat. artist is well known artist, one of them haves some international connect which can be my break. Like an producer like me, who will enter to the stage on this project, what is normally industry standard for me? I don't want scare off the clients, but I dont want to get ripped off. The royalties for now is on my name, at 100%. Due time it will change that.

Last edited:
It is what you all can agree on. Today, a lot of this is done for little or no money as "exposure." But if this is an established artist, I would not settle for that. Take some hourly money (or per project if you wish) for mixing/engineering, and take some royalties (or royalties plus an advance) as producer. Make sure you have some or all songwriting credit and publishing (again, what you can agree on). Create a contract and make split sheets. Make sure there is an auditing clause and you know who is collecting the dough (so you know who to go to if you're not getting paid properly).

This is not legal advice. Seek competent representation.

Also, since you are looking to enter into a more serious, traditional deal (rather than the "nothing to maybe $100 buyout" type stuff happening today), get two books that you need to have access to, one by Kashif, the other by Donald Passman (they both have similar names "Everything You Always Wanted to Know About the Music Business," and "All You Need to Know About the Music Business"). You may also want to get Moses Avalon's first book ("Confessions of a Record Producer").

GJ

Back