what if I sent a beat to a rapper and it turns out to be a hit? how do i get paid?

deedashstef

D-Stef Productions LLC
what is the exact process i know i need a pro i am bmi member and it has to be copywritten but what else whats the full process of me getting my piece from a beat i emailed to a rapper in the industry and it happened to blow up please explain fully

Too many variables to "explain fully" here. Study the music business (especially publishing). It is strongly suggested that you don't randomly e-mail beat and other files to rappers without first securing your music.

GJ

The rapper or the record label should be paying you when you sign the contract. If you don't sign a contract for them to use your beat, you are crazy!

Never let them use your beats for free. You are supposed to get an upfront fee once they decide to use it. The royalties come after it sells.

Ditto to what rhythmgj, study the music business, talk to other producers, and talk to lawyers. Read a book about it, there are so many options, but NEVER email a beat to a rapper with out it being copyrighted, or unless you have a contract with the artist, if your song blows up the last thing you want is to see the nigga that you sent the beat to making millions off your song but your sitting on couch struggling. good luck bro

Back