What does "I'm sorry but we're not interested" mean?

acetheface954

I know you've heard one of these before. "I'm sorry but we're not interested"., "This isn't what we're looking for", "Very good but it's not something we would accept". BS right? But I just find it rather funny that I get turned down every time I submit to a blog or website that says they accept submissions. for free. But here's what's really funny LOL. As soon as I open up my wallet to other outlets I get charted, get played by top 100 DJs, and so on and so forth. I mean its as if by magic I'm suddenly good LOL. How does one explain this?! Simple. To get where you want to be you are going to have to grease a few palms. Granted, I know I don't make the best stuff in the world but I'll be damned before someone tells me its not good enough when I have seen the results myself!

LOL thanks for checking this out.

I know you've heard one of these before. "I'm sorry but we're not interested"., "This isn't what we're looking for", "Very good but it's not something we would accept". BS right? But I just find it rather funny that I get turned down every time I submit to a blog or website that says they accept submissions. for free. But here's what's really funny LOL. As soon as I open up my wallet to other outlets I get charted, get played by top 100 DJs, and so on and so forth. I mean its as if by magic I'm suddenly good LOL. How does one explain this?! Simple. To get where you want to be you are going to have to grease a few palms. Granted, I know I don't make the best stuff in the world but I'll be damned before someone tells me its not good enough when I have seen the results myself!

LOL thanks for checking this out.

read the words

look them up in a dictionary

connect the meanings together to understand what is said

however, my take is simple

"I'm sorry but we're not interested"., - you sent them something without them asking you to

"This isn't what we're looking for", - wrong style/genre/lyrical perspective

"Very good but it's not something we would accept" - the production values or songwriting values are out of synch with what the company is happy to accept

in every instance unless you are asked to submit you can expect these sorts of replies as a general response, if you even get one - most unsolicited submissions are place directly into the circular filing cabinet aka the garbage bin

To expand on what Bandcoach said, you might be looking at this the wrong way. I haven't listened to your music so I am not saying it's bad but people will do anything for money so if you paid a blog/DJ or whatever, they are going to play your music regardless of quality, even if it is absolute trash. They will only play music for free if it's good enough for their standards, your music might not be ready yet.

To expand on what Bandcoach said, you might be looking at this the wrong way. I haven't listened to your music so I am not saying it's bad but people will do anything for money so if you paid a blog/DJ or whatever, they are going to play your music regardless of quality, even if it is absolute trash. They will only play music for free if it's good enough for their standards, your music might not be ready yet.

Actually no they won't take it if its not mixed well. Even if you pay they'll say "I can't accept this". On top of that I act as a curator and listen to what they play. I look up what genres they accept, the quality of the tracks they take in etc. I really can't accept its not ready yet when I've seen success from them in clubs and by DJs.

read the words

look them up in a dictionary

connect the meanings together to understand what is said

however, my take is simple

"I'm sorry but we're not interested"., - you sent them something without them asking you to

"This isn't what we're looking for", - wrong style/genre/lyrical perspective

"Very good but it's not something we would accept" - the production values or songwriting values are out of synch with what the company is happy to accept

in every instance unless you are asked to submit you can expect these sorts of replies as a general response, if you even get one - most unsolicited submissions are place directly into the circular filing cabinet aka the garbage bin

Literal guy aren't you? Or was that an attempt at being funny lol. Yes I covered all those bases that you stated. I don't just send off something without studying their interests. I'll accept that they either never got to hear it, not big enough for them, or they just didn't like it. But man money sure does change people's opinions on whether or not something is good, bad, or not for them.

I've heard your music Arthur, and I know why I like it... Cause it's not a standard house sound. "Traditional" House blogs, honestly, probably don't like it because it's not what they are used to... Or they are too scared to push something that's a bit different to normal.

Over recent years, I've discovered people think the unfamiliar is automatically poor music because it's something they've never heard before... Something to add to the equation and to the endless list of possibilities of what was/is meant by some of the phrases you quoted.

I've heard your music Arthur, and I know why I like it... Cause it's not a standard house sound. "Traditional" House blogs, honestly, probably don't like it because it's not what they are used to... Or they are too scared to push something that's a bit different to normal.

Over recent years, I've discovered people think the unfamiliar is automatically poor music because it's something they've never heard before... Something to add to the equation and to the endless list of possibilities of what was/is meant by some of the phrases you quoted.

True enough I don't. I use the same techniques but not necessarily the same sounds at times but only because I do want to be a little different which actually does work. Two blogs out of like 30 did give me a well deserved nod so kudos to them. Today was a good day. Power to the indies! :-)

Like Pslam said, I believe you answered your own question with that point about paying for DJs and being featured on charts with certain websites. If you pay for a service, the company provides the service. That simple.

Also, you can't make people like your music. You send it, and they decide if they want to work with it. That's just how it goes. While there are obvious "norms" they are looking for in general composition, mixing, sounds, etc, the rest is purely subjective. And countless musicians have dealt with rejection.. even the ones who eventually became legends.

Like Pslam said, I believe you answered your own question with that point about paying for DJs and being featured on charts with certain websites. If you pay for a service, the company provides the service. That simple.

Also, you can't make people like your music. You send it, and they decide if they want to work with it. That's just how it goes. While there are obvious "norms" they are looking for in general composition, mixing, sounds, etc, the rest is purely subjective. And countless musicians have dealt with rejection.. even the ones who eventually became legends.

Amen brother. Really I just wanted to put it out there that just because someone turned you down it may not be because its bad. Just didn't find the right person yet. If you know you have a good trained ear then you can rule out the notion that its not sonically good which is not something you should be going through if you've got years of practice under your belt as far as I'm concerned.

never forget Dick Rowe, the guy from Decca who rejected the Beatles saying "Guitar bands are on the way out"

Back