What do you think about new labels?

Maco (label)

Hi,

mine is a little label just srating and nobody said it was going to be easy, but let's be honest... nobody likes new labels. I have been trying to contact with artist looking for a release but it takes a lot of effort and patience to get some interest. We know we are not going start a revolution in the industry with our little contribution, but a random artist with no releases on any place should be more thankful for someone interested on his music.

What do you think? What would be your approach?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm producing for 2 years now, and managed to get one release on a small netlabel (yesterday), and already was contacted by a fellow member of another music production forum to be on the artist roster for his new label as well. Now he wants to have something to release in Q1.

As far as we've been talking, he have some other artists as well slated for Q1 releases, and one of them is a guy who produces since 2001 and have his own label.

It's all about building relationship, imo.

Hi Ddream,

thanks for answering and congratulations for your release. Yes, building relationships is everything, but we are noticing that some times a friendly email is not enough to engage artists. We know people is busy and have lots of different interests, being releasing on a big label one of them, but maybe there would be a way to make them realize that this just does not normally happens like that... they can just not start the house with the roof so a release on a smaller label is an achievement by itself to grow and reach bigger labels.

Hi,

any more thoughts on how to approach artists? And what about blogs for promotion? It is a bit tought too... Do you have any favourite blogs you always go for?

Thanks!

I do not mean to hit out at you but am pointing out the issues with labels asking for money up-front vs the reality of most artists starting out (they have no "real" money or they would not be looking for a deal to begin with)

basic premise of solicitation is that you offer something rather than expect something, in return for a product (track, ep, album).

Offering distribution costs covered for a % on sales is reasonable

Offering publishing for a % of sales is reasonable (in fact based on others comments here at fp there are two cuts of publishing the writers and the publishers so you do not even really need to take part of their % unless you are being avaricious)

Offering up-front covering of costs for a recouping of those costs, with interest, is reasonable; the mechanism you use to recover costs and interest should be explicit and should be advantageous to both you and the artist

Ultimately as a small label you are trying to create relationships with your artists: be fair and transparent with them and you will gain their trust and loyalty, which is probably worth more in the long run; their next big project goes through you and you are both happy

Hi bandcoach and thanks a lot for your elaborate answer.

I agree on everything you said and I did not even know some labels were asking for money up-front, in my opinion that is not fair... big labels is just the opposite, they give an advance for different production costs and other stuff. My reality is so different... I'm paying the publishing and distribution costs and spending my personal time for promotion and I can even do professional artwork and I will not ask money for that because it's me who wants to release that guy who makes the music I like and let's be honest... he will almost sell nothing so we (both) will not get any money at all but maybe with time we get to grow a bigger fanbase together and I would say that's the main reason I'm into these and that would have to be also the main reason for the artist. I think I could not approach a "more" established artist because he would never sign wit me just because my label is new, tiny and unknown...

Bandcoach dropping gems as per usual!

I am in the process of starting a record label and I already have 2 producers (plus myself) coming on board. I'm looking to establish ourselves as a production company first before branching out further. Plus, I really like instrumental music.

In regards to building relationships, the easiest way you'll sign artists is waiting for them to come to you. If you're an artist yourself, release some music. If you find someone you like, just follow them on Twitter and give them a tweet every now and then. When they find you own a label, that may spark their interest in signing. If you attend gigs in your local area & like someones performance, tell them how impressed you are. Seriously, everyone loves getting their ass licked when they are starting out (as long as it's tastefully done, of course).

For example, there's a band who tour the UK, and I attended one of their gigs. Was really impressed with them about a year ago, so when they had a break I went up and had a chat. Added one of the members on Facebook, and they tell me all their news every time I see them. I.e. How they just rejected a deal from a major, which recently led to me offering them a deal when I was inebriated on New Years Eve. I admit, very unprofessional, so next time I see him, I'll apologise. But this is how things happen.

Just get involved. You obviously consider yourself more of a curator than a business man which is great. If you're going to be a curator you need to be involved in the scene. And I don't mean globally, just make some moves locally. Do you have a couple of friends who want to get serious with their music? Take them under your wing and release something on a one album basis.

Remember, you don't have to offer long term deals either. The industry is filled with shady people. Q Tip famously stated rule # 4080, so make sure you build up that trust. Offer them a short term deal. "Oh, I loved your demo. Are you planning on releasing it? Why not release it with me as a tester? Let's see how things go." Then you've always got the option of extending that business relationship afterwards.

That's how I'm approaching everything. It's allowed me to see the strengths and weaknesses of these producers before committing a lot of resources towards them.

My record label is frofresh.com by the way. Yet to release any music, sorting out the distribution side at the moment. For the time being, I have a little side project/experiment I'm working on. It's a Hip Hop aggregation blog which you can also find at internalaffairs.co.

P.S. If you're looking to sign the bigger artists in your first 5-10 years, you're being unrealistic. Unless you can improve their career which you probably can't if you're just starting out, then they won't be interested. The indie labels job is traditionally find the new talent who aren't getting picked up by the majors.

P.P.S. Read up on your favourite indie labels. See what works and what doesn't work for them, learn from them. Best advice anyone can give you in your journey of starting a label.

Last edited:
Hi Exclusivo,

thanks a lot for your elaborate answer. You have touched really interesting topics. I understand that I will not sign a big artist by now, and even if I get to "survive" as a label for five to ten years... as you said, that is not my goal, because as an indie label my main objective is to build a little community based on the new talent. I also think your approach is the best way to build solid relationships, step by step, that could last for some time and your example is a good one. Did you finally got to sign them? XD.

Cheers!

I have yet to bump in to them. I would message them on Facebook, but I want to offer a sincere apology.

I do want to offer them some sort of a deal. I will try and sit down with them in the future, and see what they want to do and achieve. Knowing my luck, they've probably signed a deal with someone already and I've missed the opportunity!

Back