what do you people think should change for people to start buying music again?

prodeucer

Other than good music, do you think the physical format will live on? Other than the over hyped and over priced "return" of vinyl, what could make you go out and buy a physical format album again?

There was a time when I bought a dozen new and used CDs, this was in the 90's. I was in my teens so times change. I think most teens these days would rather click on a mouse to download songs into their compact mp3 player.

Wasn't there a time when you were "addicted" to music? I bought albums from bands I never heard of, that was the allure of it all. I was never a person who heard a single on the radio and bought the single. I wanted the whole thing. Sometimes I went by CD album cover or how the band looked and or genre specific.

Last edited:
When the music industry stops bending over the consumer in terms of pricing of products, but we all know that won't happen. We live in a digital age now and there's no going back.

Although the music industry should change the reality is no one involved cares to change it and if they did care they wouldn't be continuously playing catch-up to other industries who have accepted and are accepting the digital reality.

Digital is here to stay. Technology moves forward, and music technology is a big part of the music industry.

Talking about the 90's... That's 25 years ago. In 1995, were you trying to do stuff from 1970? "Do you think we will ever go back to having just 3 TV channels?"

Sometimes I do think the best way to increase sales and consumption of music is to cherry-pick the very best artists, with the very best messages and emotions in their music, and try to convince the general listening public to care about it as much as I do. But the avalanche of "entertainment to suit the lowest common denominator" hasn't stopped, and likely won't. It's plastic out there - straight-up. And the mass of people that are perfectly OK with it being plastic, aren't going to "see the light" until they absolutely must, like in an apocalyptic situation or something..

Buy and listen to music in the way you most enjoy it. If you have a problem with digital formats, buy records or CDs for yourself, or make tapes. But i don't think there's much you can do to change how this new generation is gonna do it.

I bought video games so I download their soundtracks anytime I want :/
Same goes for cds. Or if whatever it is not available in America. in that format.
Downloading is convenient, less hassle, no bs and to the point.

you beat me to it. I went to the thrift store and saw dozens of pop artists CDs on the shelves which means people bought and listened to these garbage at one point in time compared to titles you never ever see being given away at the thrift store. Kinda like you will see major DVD movies in the thrift store being thrown away just like that vs. some indie horror flick only a few geeks have seen. I had no idea Backstreet Boys and N'Sync had so much albums out, just saw them stacked up at various thrift stores.

Plastic sells.

Last edited:
you beat me to it. I went to the thrift store and saw dozens of pop artists CDs on the shelves which means people bought and listened to these garbage at one point in time compared to titles you never ever see being given away at the thrift store. Kinda like you will see major DVD movies in the thrift store being thrown away just like that vs. some indie horror flick only a few geeks have seen. I had no idea Backstreet Boys and N'Sync had so much albums out, just saw them stacked up at various thrift stores.

Thrift stores are that deal!

I have a Goodwill store in our downtown "old market" area where all the hipsters and young ppl hang out at anyway everything in that Goodwill is a $1 per item
tons of DVD/Video Games/CDs there

I don't think people will ever pay for music again.

Cost of producing a copy of anything is as good as 0, so why would anyone pay for anything that costs nothing to make?

A Chinese CD manufacturer can produce a CD for 56 cents but with a minimum order of 300,000 copies. The only thing that's free in this world is air. Now go inhale some!

I don't think people will ever pay for music again.

Cost of producing a copy of anything is as good as 0, so why would anyone pay for anything that costs nothing to make?

Last edited:
Salvation Army CDs are still $1.99. You get 50% off deals on certain days or occasions.

I have a Goodwill store in our downtown "old market" area where all the hipsters and young ppl hang out at anyway everything in that Goodwill is a $1 per item
tons of DVD/Video Games/CDs there

I was talking about digital copies
That's not free... Everything costs.

The computer you make the music on. A cost.

If you fart on a recording, there's a cost to that fart - the food you shoveled in to your mouth to produce the methane, you disgusting animal.

Today's music like most art these days isn't "real" I don't mean the music itself but the product. We used to scratch and save to buy a record or CD , take it home, unwrap it go into our zone and listen...look at the packaging there was a real art in the cover that would be a poster.
It was "Real" we had a connection to it, we touched it, a personasl relastionship. We protected it from damage cause it was hard to replace
Now we stream music to our phone or computer....the personal realationship is no longer there.
We build our own playlist..there is less of a connection to one artist. We remix do mash ups, lift beats. The music no longer functions as something personal it has become disposable. You can find tracks for free on the net. If you don't value your product don't expect other to. ... Does everyone share this profile? No, of course not. But a bif percentage of the buying public does.

Later

Terry

So artists need to sell something else besides the art. Since the art does not sell, another way of making money is needed. Simple as that. No need in arguing against reality.

That's not free... Everything costs.

The computer you make the music on. A cost.

If you fart on a recording, there's a cost to that fart - the food you shoveled in to your mouth to produce the methane, you disgusting animal.
The majority of people make music out of the love of it. I highly doubt everyone who brought a copy of logic was thinking it would be a good financial investment.
Production costs are probably the only costs, and they're lower than ever before. Once the music is made, people can make copies of it for free themselves, so there's no incentive to buy except morals- same as a charity.

Today's music like most art these days isn't "real" I don't mean the music itself but the product. We used to scratch and save to buy a record or CD , take it home, unwrap it go into our zone and listen...look at the packaging there was a real art in the cover that would be a poster.
It was "Real" we had a connection to it, we touched it, a personasl relastionship. We protected it from damage cause it was hard to replace

This. It's the main reason I still buy vinyl rather than CDs...I feel like I've bought something. I look after it and put more effort into listening to it I find.

Think about how many downloads you've paid for that you've never listened to properly. You've just put them on whilst you're doing something else on your laptop or iPhone and probably have no memory of them.

Music used to have Value. Nowadays, when I check out a full album on Youtube it's trash.

Back in the day if you bought a Busta Rhymes album, A Tribe Called Quest, Outkast, etc. you knew you were getting a full album's worth of value. You were getting Art. You were getting an Experience. Nowadays, why do I need to buy the YG, 2 Chainz or Rick Ross albums when they were already made by 1,000 rappers back in he '90s?

If I put on ATLiens right now for either my boys I grew up with or my little nephews WE ALL ROCK TO IT because it took Talent to make and has Value. I don't even rap and I can rhyme better than 95% of the people on the radio.

Back