What do you have to do to get "Produced by *name*" in the title?

lightspeed15

This is a pretty simple question. On all artist's mixtape, you always see them putting "SONG TITLE (Prod. by Lex Luger)".
That's obviously just an example, but what I was wondering, what do you have to do to get 'Prod. by...' in the name of the song?

In order to have 'Prod. by' in the song name, do you have to simply make the beat and give it to the artist? Or do you have to work with the artist in the studio and mix and master all his vocals together with your beat?

This is a pretty important question to me, so I want to have some sort of definite answer.

I hope I explained it alright, if you didn't understand something just ask, but please, someone provide me with an answer!

That's a good question and it really depends on the business relationship you have with that artist and what's being done with the track

Most of the time if you made the beat then you would get credited but if you run into someone who actually PRODUCES the artist rather than just hitting record they are going to want some production credit

I'm asking this question because I've run into this rift with an artist who's telling me that I have to mix and master his beat in order to get my name in the title and I'm not sure what to do!

I've never been in that situation not sure what to tell you. Sounds a bit shady, seems as if he wants you to mix and master the work for free.

If you made the beat, then tell him to say it was produced by you. Plain and simple. You shouldn't have to actually be in the studio when he does the song to get credit for it.

In most of the rest of the recording world, a producer actually works with the artist or band on the entire project, and has a variety of duties and areas of input, including tracking of final vocals. In the rap/Hip-Hop world, a "producer" is usually a beat-maker or track composer, but then hands that track off to others to finish.

As to credits, it's really up to you and the client and whatever agreement you make. Whatever that turns out to be _get it in writing_. One option you could have, if the issue is that the artist is working with another producer (that is a royalty-bearing title, so the "points" may be the real issue here), would be to change your credit to something like "track produced by," "track composed by," or even "co-produced by" ("co-producer" is not usually a royalty-bearing credit, but it could be good exposure for you as far as future work).

GJ

You made the beat, thats enough to get proper credit for your track. Sounds like youre dealing with someone who is trying to play you.

You made the beat, thats enough to get proper credit for your track. Sounds like youre dealing with someone who is trying to play you.

Pretty much. If the artist has respect for you and your craft he will put "Produced By" etc. or give you some type of credit on the track.

Back