What do Hip-Hop fans want to hear nowadays? What kind of lyrical content/music?

InspectahEX

To all hip-hop fans, young and old... I want opinions

What kind of content are you attracted to nowadays? As far as lyrical and musical content goes? Please try not to answer along the lines of 'real' or 'fake'

I'll throw some things out there...

Music:
Dance type beats?
Electronic type?
Sample based type beats?
More acoustic type beats?
Heavy Bass?
New but undiscovered type of sound?
Something completely different?

Lyrics:
Real Life experiences?
The Streets?
World Issues?
Personal Issues?
The Club/NightLife?
Women/Money/Cars and appealing things?
Abstract type of lyrics?
Flow/Rhyme scheme/Metaphors?

What are YOU looking for in Hip-Hop Music?

I look for people who make real moves, within short time frames. Some artists are scared to let people hear their music. Personal ego and lack of promo are somethings that prevent them from doing their job, which often times is more than writing or performing songs.

Last edited:
Hip Hop fans want to hear themselves because everybody in hip hop now is an artist/producer/dj/promoter. How many normal "fans" do you know of?

^true!

But I think people want to hear the Snapbacks & Tattoos type beat with clever, but not really lyrical content. Repetitive hooks, heavy bass, etc.

I can tell you that I don't listen to much hip hop/rap anymore at all. Grew out of it years ago, especially doing music as a job and dealing with rappers all the time on a personal level... the last thing I want to do is hear their nonsense over a beat. I stick to bluegrass, country, indie rock, & death metal mostly, while dabbling in EDM and some other genres while digging.

Anyway... topics that are beat to death: the dope game, ****ing my girl, battle/diss rap, ballin & money, killing people, the club, etc... the list goes on.

Keep this in mind: Almost all white people 35 & under who do not like or listen to hip hop & rap all love/enjoy Atmosphere. Why? Because he raps about white people shit that rings true with the fans.

I think doing you and being honest with your lyrics is the easiest path to success. If you dont sell dope, don't talk about it. If you haven't been in 100 fist fights, don't rap tough, etc.

My 2 cents

Back