Is using Twitter and Instagram contributing to your promotion

Ollie Hoops

Hey FP,

I'm working on a social media strategy to better promote my music, and I was wondering which channels are useful for promotion.

YouTube, SoundCloud and Facebook seem to be working, I've had some success with having an artist-page on Facebook to promote music and events, and of course YouTube is a good way to put music(-video's) into the world.

I've also tried Twitter and Instagram, but I haven't had that much success with it. I don't see too many people on Twitter anymore, mostly bots, content-creators (like us) and companies. Promoting on there doesn't seem to have too much of an impact. On Instagram, on the other hand, I only find friends and relatives of me following me, no music fans yet - even though most of my posts on Instagram are music-related.

Have you guys had any success in using Instagram and Twitter for promotion?

Peace out

Last edited:
I meet a lot of clients and connections on twitter and Ig. It's all about how you use the platform and building a following.

I meet a lot of clients and connections on twitter and Ig. It's all about how you use the platform and building a following.

i always hear this type of answer to this issue. to me it seems to be a hit and miss thing. more about just being persistent.

But if you may tell us specifically "how you use the platform" .

I use Instagram more so than Twitter. I've had the same difficulties that you have in terms of making real connections.

On instagram, however, I post both personal and beatmaking related posts that friends and contacts see. My primary method of getting the word out comes from the hashtags that I add to my posts. Typically I get a few extra likes and follows from people who see my video due to a hashtag.

Also, my instagram following typically consists of other beatmakers, producers, and song writers. I'd like to make more contacts with independent artists, but in the meantime, I just use it to build relationships with other beatmakers.

-TB

None of them really work that good for me, but every now and then I get some good clients that contact me via a Facebook message. Good ol' real world networking seems to get me the best results, social media is taken over with a lot of spam and scams.

I use Twitter, but less and less lately. Everybody just spams. At this stage, I basically just use it for information, and I keep my eye out for anything that looks like an opportunity. But when you tweet a link to your song, there are so many from so many people, that it's highly unlikely I click that link. Anyone that puts up one like "3 beats for $19.99" gets unfollowed. You hate Pepsi for doing it before you watch YouTube videos, but you don't mind throwing up your own Ads on Twitter? IMO, you have to get a little more personal than that, for Twitter to work right for you.

Take this as coincidence or not, but I can honestly claim that my sales and opportunities have gone UP since slowing the social media. It seems the people who matter most to what I'm trying to do prefer less public means of doing business.

I still see value in those sites, if you use them correctly. But as people have already posted, nothing beats real-world connections. Even an email exchange is more professional than Twitter, imo.

Twitter works well for me. Here are some phrases you could try typing into twitter to find people to follow and talk to:
“need beats”
“I need beats”
“I need producers”
“I want to write need some beats”
“cheap beats for sale”
“cheap beats”
“good producers”

Last edited:
I think both of these platforms can be very useful if you use them correctly. If you think about the way Twitter and Instagram are designed, they are intended so that friends/family/etc can follow what you do in your daily life online. That being said, making real connections with people, then getting them to add you on these networks in my opinion is an effective way of slowly building a true. Now I'm not saying you need to know every one of your followers personally, but you should go to music events and network with artists, producers, etc. and ask them to add you on these networks.

Twitter is less useful especially just looking for followers and people looking for music. They are most likely not fans and with the hundreds of tweets its easy for someone to skip right over your stuff. Over time it could definitely be useful but as i see it there are better ways to get your stuff out there.

Twitter is less useful especially just looking for followers and people looking for music. They are most likely not fans and with the hundreds of tweets its easy for someone to skip right over your stuff. Over time it could definitely be useful but as i see it there are better ways to get your stuff out there.

that's why you tweet directly to the person from their home page
random tweets have there place...
but a real business person trying to make real relationships go beyond the superficial approach

Last edited:
Instagram is really helpful with attaining customers, or atleast potential customers. Try to make a video that matches the mood of the beat.

Instagram

My most recent post got a decent amount of likes that what I usually get. Hashtags are helpful also. I was considering doing Vine, but 6 seconds seems way too short....

Make good music and they will come. Yes, you really should be using twitter definitely, and instagram isn't as big a deal but if your brand continues to build its another avenue to reach with fans and promote music. I see facebook as a good way to release music through, give important updates to fans, info, ect. I see twitter as a better way to keep casual and chat with fans and whatever is on your mind. Instagram is a great way to update on where you're at or perhaps showing off previews for new music. Just some examples.

80% of your networking should be in real life and 20% online.

That way your online social content will always be flowing with proof of what you're really doing out in the world.

Twitter and IG should be used as follow ups real life conversations.

I find that following artists similar to your style and interacting with their followers is a good way to get more followers on Twitter, but how useful that is, I must wait and see.

Back