Using chord progressions/melodies from other songs?

the.boy

Hi all

I want your opinion on this.
I was working on some beats last week and hit a massive producer block, and just couldnt come up with any melodies. So I spent a few hours just listening to music trying to get some inspiration. I heard this song (a very old song), the piano sounded so nice that I took the chords of about 4-8 bars, played them out on my midi, looped them, added synths, drums, automated the piano, added more notes over it, etc. So I changed it up quite alot, but if you listen to both songs you can definitely hear how similar it is. Obviously you cant give much of an opinion on that matter without hearing them both. But what are your thoughts on that? Know of anyone that has had legal problems from something like that?

Another question, my bro who produces with me purchased some 'midi files' online, to help inspire him which is cool. He used one of the midis, changed the notes slightly in the melody and made a dope beat. But then noticed on the website it said that if he gets a major placement with the beat, the person who made and sold the midi gets a cut? How Is that even possible exactly since the creator doesnt actually own the chords? And since my bro changed them up slightly they are now different to what he purchased?

Would love to hear peoples thoughts

It'll come to you over time.
Even in collabs I redo the entire track from the ground up to avoid any confusion later down the line and save every file for reference :p

Get into the habit of organizing.

ya, if you change the notes, it's different. People can't own notes. They can own songs and melodies. If the notes are changed, you should be fine. If the guy really wants to charge a cut for his melody and chords, he should sell them as audio files, not midi. ha, ...seriously because you're right, you can change the notes in a midi file. lol there's absolutely no way to prove what your bro has is from this guy. You can change even change the synth because it's a midi file. lol, this guy can't prove anything if it really came down to a legal matter.

he can prove you bought the files sure, but i don't think he can prove you using them if you change it enough. And if you change you enough, it's not his anymore. Like I said, people can't own the copyright to notes.

Proving copyright infringement is not easy, but your bro should be advised that if he gets caught, he could have an issue and he should read anything he signs from now on (with pen or electronically) to understand what it is he's actually agreeing to.

As far as your chords go-- Chord progressions have traditionally not been "copyright-able," but the interpretation of copyright law has changed/expanded since the recent Pharell/Thicke decision; now it's not necessarily actual similarities in melody or lyrics, it is "the feel" (no precise legal definition) that counts, apparently. So make sure your instrumental doesn't sound too similar.

If you are using the same chord progression, especially if that is a common pop progression, you are fine because tons of different artists reuses the same progressions. But if you are using the same prog and jacking the their melody on top of it as well or even just taking their hook melody - it gets dicey. But I am not a legal scholar and that is just my 2 cents.

The reality is that you have nothing to worry about until you have a hit and somebody makes money. Then you better have a good lawyer. If you are serious about the music business I suggest you do your homework about the legal side of things.

Back