Using Artist Development Firms

JMD_Music

So I just recently teamed up with an artist management firm in the UK. I'm based in LA and they want me to find some of my own clients. Right now, I'm speaking to a couple of interested artists.

I was wondering if we should consider using an artist development firm? I thought that maybe it would be a nice way for me to get some training, in a way. Such as, connecting me to other industry professionals.

Plus, some firms offer booking, and in California, it's illegal for a manager to book shows.

This is probably outside of my expertise, so I'm not going to offer any advice other than the following:

If you're going to seek some form of artist development, make sure it's locally.

You being in Cali while your management team are in the UK isn't unheard of - but it may make things a little bit more complicated when you're trying to grow as an artist.

Cheers,
Jordan

P.S. I presume the management company you're signed with have either connections or an office locally, can't they provide more help in linking you with people?

Last edited:
I can't edit the original post, but I'm a manager, not an artist.

Forgot to mention that.

Last edited:
Oh! I see. Sorry, I assumed you were a producer trying to find some artists.

Make sure you're in the loop with all of the local shows, keep your eyes peeled for new talent. Attend any events/conferences that are beneficial.

I don't see why you shouldn't look at connecting with an artist development firm.

It'll probably be more beneficial for you, finding yourself a new talent and making them a complete package. Hard work, but it'll benefit you greatly for experience. Plus, the success and the relationship you then have with that person. You might even be that persons manager for their whole career.

Elvis Costello's manager, for example, has been working with him for about four decades, through thick and thin. I believe it's her only breadwinner too.

Cheers,
Jordan

My problem right now is that I reach out to an artist, we talk, and then all of a sudden, they just stop responding. I don't know what's going on. It's very frustrating.

When have you connected with these artists? At shows they've performed at? Best time to get them. Introduce yourself and explain who you are, hand them your card, put the ball in their court.

If you've connected online, then 9 times out of 10, they'll be scared off for a number of reasons.

Cheers,
Jordan

Last edited:
yeah you need to get in the streets attend these venues!!!

I understand that, but besides that, what are your thoughts on using development firms? Or a consultant?

I emailed a couple consultants this morning about whether or not their services could help "train" an aspiring manager.

a consultant is going to tell you what to do
which is to get out there and hand out business cards get involved in the local music scene
go where the artists you would like to manager are
know as much about the music BUSINESS as you can
be professional
make connections with recording studio owners,radio operation managers,DJs

which means you have to get out there!! be pro-active

now for a step by step detail you can pay me lol
but I suggest you go out there with a decent plan and follow through
and build up your rep.

Blessings

If I hired a consultant, I wouldn't need to find an artist since I'd already have one. I've already spoken to a few.

I know about being pro-active, but it would help to have someone else assisting which is what a consultant would do.

depends on that exact consultant most will give you simple guidance

when you're in certain situation
give you advice on how to get into a certain situation

and as manager of your artists what have you already done???

when starting at a grassroots level
I don't believe a consultant can give you a ton of help
unless you have the money to hire a whole team to make your artist a "STAR"

some consultants can be your whole team
which they help with the artist's
image(photos,video,clothing)
social media (online presence)
music (get singles ready,etc.)
and so on!!!

but you will pay handsomely

if I was the manager I would take on those duties myself
but my contract would put me into a position where my work for that artist would be highly beneficial

and so on

Some consultants are able to help connect you with certain people and help train, which is all I was really looking for.

I'm not seeking someone to do all the work for me.

it's your career man you have to make the choices at this point you really don't have any thing to lose but time and money

what you may be looking for is a way to "intern" shadow a working manager

offer to do their grunt work

Last edited:
My current job doesn't allow me to do that. Also, already being out of college makes it even harder to intern because so many companies want you to receive college credit.

I have my own office and a lot of free time at work, so I can dedicate all day to managing an artist(s) as long as I can do it all from my office. I want to be able to manage full time by the end of the year.

Last edited:
shadow on the weekends
find the time
sleep less,work more

by the end of the year
at least you have a goal

I read this recently the book has some great advice and practical skills for managers
Artist Management for the Music Business

but most I have already learned from Youtube and a cousin of mines who use to manager rap groups back in the early 90's

you can pick up so much stuff just hanging around at music venues which are usually night events and weekend events
which by that time you SHOULD be out of the office???

I actually have that book, and plan to continue reading it.

My job is on-call, so I can be called anytime. I manage an apartment building.

In my opinion you should do it. The US is probably the easiest territory for you to do business in as it is your home, but the UK offers an International bonus if you work with them. It'll be hard and complicated at the beginning but it will pay off not only for your resume but financially ;)

If you want an artist from Germany im always down to talk about maybe adding management to my career :P haha

Last edited:
Back