Is uploading tracks on soundcloud for sending to a label a good idea?

markoluman

Hello everyone.
Is a soundcloud link a legit way of sending a track to a label?
Will the label like the fact that i already uploaded the track on soundcloud? Because as i see from other artists their tracks are uploaded firstly on soundcloud by the label..

Lets say i upload my tracks on soundcloud in order to gain attention and maybe attract an audience. If i want to release these tracks, will the label still want to release them? (considering the tracks are awesome, have a fanbase etc)..

What is your own experience of your attempt to be signed to a label?
Any answers are much appreciated.

Honestly, it depends on the label in question.

If you want to send a track to the label, look on their website for their submission guidelines.

If they don't have guidelines, find a general email address and JUST ASK. Seriously, if people took the timeout to just ASK ME how I'd prefer music to be sent to me, I'd be a much happier dude.

Cheers,
Jordan

[If they don't have guidelines, find a general email address and JUST ASK. [/QUOTE]

I sent them already an email and asked them about the procedure of sending them my tracks and waited about two weeks, but no response.
I think they didn't bother because i don't have an online presence yet.
Is it a good idea to start uploading on soundcloud my tracks i want to be released? If they are good enough, will a label be still interested to release any of them?

If they are good enough, will a label be still interested to release any of them?

As in, if you just upload and hope they find you?

Record labels are run as businesses nowadays, NOT to promote good art. They are concerned with one thing, and that's money. If you're making money... And have a huge following that they can monetise... THEN they'd be interested.

Your best bet is to, instead of seeking out a record label, wait for them to find you. Just run your career as an independent until then. It requires hard work, but it's the only way you're going to make it...

And by the time record labels do come calling, you won't even want to sign for one. At that point in your career, why would you give them (record labels and any middlemen) anything from 20 to 40% of your income after you've gone so far and can take yourself further than they can?

If you'd like, check out my marketing blog (Internal Affairs) for some advice on music marketing. Have a read through the four posts currently up, and if you like the posts, feel free to sign up to the newsletter for updates in the future (it's free).

Cheers,
Jordan

Back