Up and Coming Rappers Doing Shows/Getting Gigs?

Madallion

What have been your experiences or what do you know about finding places for artist to perform live shows? What I mean is what's the actual process of getting this done. I'm guessing the artist may have to do a few free show but, can it be lucrative, do the pros out weight the cons in your opinion?

I figure if you want your music heard by an audience and you have an artist that you work with, doing shows can be a win/win type of situation. I'm sure some of you have more experience than I do with this so, if you can help me and some of the many other members on this board understand this approach a little better... please do.

The bad news about just starting out with artists is this: You will most likely have to PAY the bar or place where you will have to perform.

if you KNOW someone though, you are good. You don't have to pay or do free shows, if there are establishments that do that sort of thing anymore.

Businesses want people to already have numbers in the bag (i.e. money or a crowd to draw). The game is way different now, even from just 4 to 5 years ago. There is a new generation of music out there, now, so now people like us have to work doubly hard to get the connections to get gigs.

I'm on the other side, 'promoter' side. I have done well over a hundred showcases. I still book artst occasionally. what I look for are:

1. music. quality music. this is the first thing and the most important. if you don't have good music, you are not touching the stage. period. I don't care if you have a bag of cash. I don't care if you are a sponsor.
2. the music must be screened, no surprises. I need to know everything that is being done on stage, no surprises. I don't have faith for any artist. artist like to test stuff on stage, they will try.
3. only 2 songs are being performed (max) no more than 10 minutes (and that is for a marquee)
4. The artist needs to have a crowd. nobody gets in free. nobody. even the manager pays
5. I never once paid an artist to perform, never. and I had several major label artist perform. but my stage always has prestige, people know they will hear good music. but I cater to the industry not to normal consumers.

But I am very tough on music, I'm not a normal promoter. I only do events for a means to an end, I have a goal for the event besides making money.

simply, have quality music (meaning professionally recorded and mixed) and a loyal crowd that is willing to spend money and you'll be fine. and if you are having troubles it's because you may not have what is necessary.

I'm on the other side, 'promoter' side. I have done well over a hundred showcases. I still book artst occasionally. what I look for are:

1. music. quality music. this is the first thing and the most important. if you don't have good music, you are not touching the stage. period. I don't care if you have a bag of cash. I don't care if you are a sponsor.
2. the music must be screened, no surprises. I need to know everything that is being done on stage, no surprises. I don't have faith for any artist. artist like to test stuff on stage, they will try.
3. only 2 songs are being performed (max) no more than 10 minutes (and that is for a marquee)
4. The artist needs to have a crowd. nobody gets in free. nobody. even the manager pays
5. I never once paid an artist to perform, never. and I had several major label artist perform. but my stage always has prestige, people know they will hear good music. but I cater to the industry not to normal consumers.

But I am very tough on music, I'm not a normal promoter. I only do events for a means to an end, I have a goal for the event besides making money.

simply, have quality music (meaning professionally recorded and mixed) and a loyal crowd that is willing to spend money and you'll be fine. and if you are having troubles it's because you may not have what is necessary.

There are different strokes for different folks out there. There are some that pay. But that IS reality, although touring and gigs are the bread and butter of the artist.

Not to trample anything you said, but people need to be harder on this new generation of DAW only artists. NO musical skills of any kind, just one hitters.

But you are fighting a nice fight, actually looking for some real talent. But that's not enough anymore. The people that DO have to venue to stop the soulja boys and ying yang generation need to protest these new fools out here.

I think music is in a place where people are oblivious to the point where, they are used to so much crap on the radio, that they just tune out.

They are used to what the clear channel asthetic is: setting 100 people in a room and letting THEM dictate what we hear! That's not cool. That's crazy, having groups determine what is going on the airwaves.

Then again, I don't think there was ever a time where payola or the clear channel style of airwave play didn't exist. That's bull, but that's also life, so we should do our best to push and invest in the best that we can find.

Good Talk,

Smack Deuce aka THENUMBERTOO

THENUMBERTOO

(Great info)

I know two artist that would love to perform and build a bigger audience, if all goes well after a few showcases I may have to introduce the scenario of renting a club out for the night as if it were a regular party and have them do a set.

dwells

(Great info)

I agree, professional work is a must.
It sounds like the promoters decide whether the performers should be paid or not, its seem like it would be a great Idea to get into business with a promoter and gather their usual crowd.

These days absolutley call for shows.
Why?
Too Much Media. The Internet is a great tool to reach people but not for keeping peoples attention. When you own the attention you create a fan.

CD's are failing. Mixtapes or Albums due to downloading. Not just bootleg but also legit sites like iTunes.

So your disk may or may not sell, myspace is too crowded, so is YouTube, but you must use them to promote.

The only thing that can't be bootlegged is a chair, a listener, and a performance. With that you can sell disks at the show, or at least keep the persons attention long enough to connect with them.

Getting paid will come either from the show or from disks tshirts and download cards you sell at the show.

If you need to pay to get on a show, I'd say it's worth it. Because if you network correctly while there it opens up mire shows, and makes on site sales possible. So in other words the "show fee" can be made back and then some, plus building email lists and promoting your website directly on Tshirt and Flyers and Banners.

If your good at least 10% of those attending should have some valuable thing to contribute, wheather it's buying a disk, inviting you to another show, offering services, email adresses or will stop to visit your web site.

You can't beat real conversation or experiences.

Just think, when you go to a club, hear an OK song (not great) but the girl your talking to goes nuts over the track. You dance with her to it, You bag her and will remember the track next time you hear it. Because an experince was connected to the music.

artist

What have been your experiences or what do you know about finding places for artist to perform live shows? What I mean is what's the actual process of getting this done. I'm guessing the artist may have to do a few free show but, can it be lucrative, do the pros out weight the cons in your opinion?

I figure if you want your music heard by an audience and you have an artist that you work with, doing shows can be a win/win type of situation. I'm sure some of you have more experience than I do with this so, if you can help me and some of the many other members on this board understand this approach a little better... please do.

i am a artis in a group called GFM from sc i would like you to help us Get a gig

Back