UCLA Music Business Certificate Program

JMD_Music

Anyone know anything about it? Considering applying.
Don't know if it would be better than the grad program at Cal State Northridge.

Last edited:
It's a certificate ....those aren't really valued. If you're going to pay for education (with papers attached) get a degree

Last edited:
I'll graduate with a bachelors in Psychology in May. I was looking into this for knowledge in the music business. Already applied to another school for a grad degree in music business.

Again, if you want papers on your knowledge in business (if that's important to you) then don't bother with a certificate (go for the degree)

School wont teach you how to run a successful studio, record label or anything music/art related.

The only way is to get your hands dirty, times change, trends change the market changes you have to get some experience under you.

Your success is based on your performance – that only comes through trial and error

So what I should do is start a label even though I know nothing about running a label? Doesn't sound too smart to me.

Who said anything about starting label without educating yourself?

Never heard of a label that took volunteers. And I can't get an internship. You telling me only reading books will allow me to learn all I need to know? The only thing I really know nothing about is marketing.

Never heard of a label that took volunteers. And I can't get an internship. You telling me only reading books will allow me to learn all I need to know? The only thing I really know nothing about is marketing.

Labels take interns, recording studios take interns...radiostations take interns. You become an intern from you affiliation with a school or your affiliation with people that work in those fields/labels/studios etc - Making good impressions and getting out and meeting people does a lot for you

Dude, I never mention anything about picking up a book.

If marketing is what you need to learn then I would suggest linking up with successful marketers in your area. Most of them are more than happy to help another marketer especially if you have a service they can use in return

Last edited:
Labels take interns, recording studios take interns...radiostations take interns. You become an intern from you affiliation with a school or your affiliation with people that work in those fields/labels/studios etc - Making good impressions and getting out and meeting people does a lot for you

Dude, I never mention anything about picking up a book.

Like I said earlier, I cannot get an internship with a label. You need to be in school in order to get one from a label; and you have to be able to receive college credit.

Like I said earlier, I cannot get an internship with a label. You need to be in school in order to get one from a label; and you have to be able to receive college credit.

I interned at RR right out of high school and later did a short intern with mercury records. I've also done some interning... you know lets drop the word intern and call it what it is free labor or exchange of knowledge/services. I've also sat around in a couple mastering houses learning in exchange for my computer skills

It was cheaper to let me ask questions and get some hands on than it was paying a tech to come fix machines. I did this with no college exp

You don't need to be in college or school to learn or intern at record label or recording studio. Half the bums that sit in those studios learning for FREE get there through who they know (and waste it smoking and chasing girls).

Last edited:
I'll take my chances with school. Having some sort of accomplishment/degree will make things easier when trying to sign an artist than saying I sat in a studio session.

I'll take my chances with school. Having some sort of accomplishment/degree will make things easier when trying to sign an artist than saying I sat in a studio session.

Well like I said in the beginning, if that's what you're going to go to school for... get the degree...not the certificate. An artist will sign with someone who has success with artists, regardless of education because the proof is in the performance. So while you're in school build your base, the worst feeling is coming out of school with with a degree and no trench work/track record to show

Last edited:
Well like I said in the beginning, if that's what you're going to go to school for... get the degree...not the certificate. An artist will sign with someone who has success with artists, regardless of education because the proof is in the performance. So while you're in school build your base, the worst feeling is coming out of school with with a degree and no trench work/track record to show

Yea that's exactly what I wanted to do. I was hoping to start the label while still in school. The thing is, the courses offered in the certificate are better than the courses offered with the degree.

Yea that's exactly what I wanted to do. I was hoping to start the label while still in school. The thing is, the courses offered in the certificate are better than the courses offered with the degree.

That's where the catch is. Most will value the degree over the certificate. True the training might not be as good but people are looking for Accredited institutions.

Now on the flip side if you just need that cert to get an understanding while building go for it but if you want that to translate into something with bigger companies (later on) it wont trump the degree, unless of course you have a track record success

Also, the cert could be all you need if the training is accredited and recognized (but most certs aren't)

Last edited:
Back