"Type Beat" ...the trend

Julian_g

Julian_G
Hey whats up Community

I know yall want to sell more beats but I think this "Type beat" s*** which many Producers including I, using, it is supersaturated. There are like 20-70 Producers who are making real $$$ on youtube by selling beats this way but there are over 100.000 beatmakers out there that copies the same strategy.

I think we need to move forward with a better marketing strategy.

What Y'all think????

It is a great strategy in the sense of that it is what most rappers are looking for. They look for beats that are similar to a certain famous rappers beats style.
You will have better chances selling your beats this way.

If it comes to creativity this is a very bad thing to happen as it removes variety in styles. People just copy others instead of doing their own thing.

How exactly does that attract your clients tho? Do they actually look for this 'type beats' like that?

It's not a bad strat and it's not a new trend. Peolpe have been doing it since MP3.com was huge

How exactly does that attract your clients tho? Do they actually look for this 'type beats' like that?

Some of my clients are looking for a sound they heard on a Kendrick Lamar song, and just type Kendrick Lamar type beat. I wouldn't say that my music really sounds like any of those artists, but at the end of the day you'll still get people's attention.

I think its corny and saddening that so many people look for beats that sound like their favorite artist. I know producers make their money doing it thats fine but the originality is gone. It seems as though only the top 10% of producers are making money doing this.

I would rather a producer not label their beats as a type beat and describe them with a mood description and worse than the type beat phenomenon is producers literally re-creating popular industry beats.

at the end of the day you want to rank first page on YT over a keyword with big volume so what rappers/singers search for is what you give them. Its Type Beats atm & I think it makes sense from a artist perspective. Desiinger did Panda of a Ace Hood Type Beat and now its Desiigner Type beats so it works for producers & artists. And if your sound aint original its a complete different topic guys. If I name a beat *2Pac Type Beat* it wont change the sound in it #toocloseminded

It's just marketing. One thing to remember is that a lot of producers are still making beats (that they want to make/their normal style) but just adding the keywords at the end, nothing wrong with that. It attracts views/plays and hopefully the sale. Rappers aren't going to be typing "fresh atmospheric beat" that often. Got to give the customer what they want. If you make a Rick Ross trap beat you might as well name it "rick ross type beat" instead of "hard rap beat" If you tag right you shoud get some healthy views.

I agree with @BezserkerProductions.

Its just one of many marketing strategies.

--

On another note I recently read that a "well known producer" was particularly outspoken on this topic and associated it with being "unoriginal"... and that's why a lot of people lately got a whole lot to say about this...
Oh, the irony of a trending topic to hate on a marketing trend. :4theloveofgod:

Kinda like a hipster hating on skinny jeans and beards. #fail

The truth is (in one way or another) you are either emulating a style or you are the one being emulated.

So call the beat whatever you can to get people to check it out.

...As a matter of fact, I think putting "free" in the title works best. :pointing:

So with that said, fcuk what anybody say about it and make whatever you like.

They're only beetz. :pointing:

Peace ~

Last edited:
I think its corny and saddening that so many people look for beats that sound like their favorite artist. I know producers make their money doing it thats fine but the originality is gone. It seems as though only the top 10% of producers are making money doing this.

I do agree with this statement! I find it to difficult to label any of my beats by a tag referencing sounding like someone else. It demeans your own personal originality.

This trend took off in 2012, let me just say this. You are better off getting with an artist who can actually get your records heard and can help you network with other rappers in the industry or you will be selling beats for $30 until you get a hit.

I would not stick to this strategy, it's good to help gain a following, but you need to market yourself. There are producers out there who can release projects and DJ and small gigs, I'd rather be a part of that crowd.

I made about 15k doing this "type of beat" thing and was receiving checks from Youtube every month in 2013. But I switched up my strategy and started working closely with certain artists and now my network is getting bigger, been traveling across the country and I'm starting to meet and work with people in the industry, not just guys who are just starting out. But I took a pay cut, but I think it will be worth it in the end.

But I do put out a beat like this every now and then, if it take off that's just free publicity. But I never try to flood the market. When you are putting out so many beats to the people for free you have no control of yourself anymore. Anyone can choose to work with you without your permission. They will take your beat and suddenly you have tons of garbage songs on Youtube over your beats. I want my beats to be hard to get your hands on.

Last edited:
Type Beats are for sure the fastest solution to get attention especially on social media...
with nice artwork for your beats your business can grow very fast.
for example type-beat-artwork.com is a nice site which you can search for good artwork.

Back