Track I produced is getting daily radio play !!

DWestProductions

Just wanted to share with yall that a track I produced called "Studio Love" by 15 yr. old C.j. Pacheco has been major radio play on a station that is heard throughout the Texas Panhandle. There's been alot of request for it..getting played multiple times. Just wanted to share that with yall...it's a great feeling knowing 1,000's are hearing my work.

Question...i'm a member of BMI...should I submit the song to them ?

Songs is dropping on in itunes the next few days, but here's a home video of the song when it premiered

Last edited:
Im a new BMI member,...so im new to that aspect of the business. Does the radio station have to report the song? The artist is local

the station has to report all their performances to the public.

this is where things get shady. but best practice is to copyright and register your stuff.

you could wait forever listening to an artist say they are going to do it.

you should call BMI directly. they work for you.

You need to copyright your beat. That's what you do yourself. do it right now.
As for the song, you have to set up an agreement with the songwriter. If you wrote the song as well, then you can claim 100% of the song. But if you only supplied the beat, you need to contact the songwriter, and come to an agreement. 50/50 25/75 45/65 idk it's whatever you guys agree too.

Here is the Los Angeles BMI Contact Info (Closest Office to Texas)

8730 Sunset Blvd.

3rd Floor West
West Hollywood, CA 90069-2211
(310) 659-9109

You need to copyright your beat. That's what you do yourself. do it right now.
As for the song, you have to set up an agreement with the songwriter. If you wrote the song as well, then you can claim 100% of the song. But if you only supplied the beat, you need to contact the songwriter, and come to an agreement. 50/50 25/75 45/65 idk it's whatever you guys agree too.

Here is the Los Angeles BMI Contact Info (Closest Office to Texas)

8730 Sunset Blvd.

3rd Floor West
West Hollywood, CA 90069-2211
(310) 659-9109

Im meeting with the artist and his manager tonight. I've downloaded a split sheet online, and I'm a little confused on how to fill it out. Im very sure the ill get 50% as a writer. So how would i feel it out? The sheet asks "Ownership %, than lyrics, than music" so how would i go about that, if I made the beat. and I did "produce" it. I was in the studio with him and helped with the vocal production.

Once you tell them about it they scout for it. Once it gets heard enough times by the scouts during the quarter then you get paid.

---------- Post added at 06:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 PM ----------

Please remember this bro, producing IS considered writing. Every song has a melody, once you learn music fundamentals you will be able to write you scores on manuscript paper and submit them along with the mp3. Don't let any body screw you out of your money my man.

You have to understand radioplay does not equate to a BMI check. There are stipulations. A DJ could be playing the song as a favor, it could be played locally on college or satellite types of radio where no royalties are collected.

Also remember BMI does not collect for itunes sales. The people who put it there are responsible for getting you your cut from that.

And if you sold the beat, give your contractual agreement a good look over, you may have waived any rights to royalties.

Just things to consider, not trying to deter you from chasing down your money, just making sure you don't feel like you're getting "screwed" when everything goes down if it goes different than you expect.

Back