Todays Artists & Role as an A&R

G

Alright This interested me briefly so I figured I'd share. An article I just read -http://themusichotspot.com/2010/02/7-ways-to-get-your-unsigned-music-heard-by-ars/ stated that A&R's are more keen to look at your email and listen if you use an instrumental that is popular and they like that artist.

IMO this is the WORST way to get their attention. Why would they want to hear you on a record thats already succesfull? There already looking for that next hit.

That being said would you say today its more beneficial for artists to use orignal production & songwriting on their mixtapes vs the imma go dl that new jeezy single and re-do already popular record. yes I know it would help promo, but im speaking only on direct contact with an A&R...

I am not an A&R guy, but in my experience when looking for an artist to promote they have to bring something to the table other than a desire for a contract. They are looking for two things;

ARE THEY MARKETABLE?
WHAT IS THEIR FOLLOWING?

I think there are a lot of folks forget that it is the "music business" and the keyword here is business. If I heard a track from someone that I thought was worth backing, then I would want to know what else are they bringing to the table? They should also have a good following so you are not starting from scratch. A record label is nothing more than a bank. That is why I could never understand artist that take their advance and buy jordans and a car. It is an "advance" meaning they gotta pay it back and then some.

Since it is a business I think the A&R guy would want to hear you on a track that is already popular if you either can knock it out the park or bring something different to the track. They don't want to reinvent the wheel so if you are on a weezy track lets say and you kinda sound like your voice fits that track then that is how they could market you. The downside is everybody is going to jump on a hot beat so it is hard to seperate oneself from the crowd. If I were an artist (I clearly am not..lol..I just engineer) I think I would send in both original and popular work.....thanks my two sense.

Of course its ALWAYS about whats offered. You may be the best, but that isnt going to feed either of us or our families or pay the bills. I understand several people have no idea that this is a Business but this i dont think will change. The people that want to know and want a stable career and advance (Like us) will seek the information needed and utilize it. Vs the guy that thinks if I get signed Ill get $500k and a maserati immediately....I digress. lol

Like you said though, several artist are going to try to "flip" that already hot track. But personally if I were and A&R I would get tired of hearing that same "BMF by Rick Ross" record. Thats what 50cent did before he became big. He took songs, and flipped them w/ better hooks and lyricism. etc.

I think like Im noticing more now is artist link with a producer/engineer and they are a sole entity. Then submit that record to the A&R's (of course w/ a fan base). This way they BOTH get a chance for more exposure on a major level. I was able to speak with 9th Wonder some weeks ago and he basically said the same thing as far as the artist/producer role goes. Build a brand.

But today A&R's are fading away, IMO. With the internet and ability to duplicate and build your own fanbase with about 2k to begin with is phenominal.....I think i got off subject.lol My B. #Trilltrax

I'm not sure its only about the beat. I don't see many a&r people posting in threads; although, I imagine they would be doing so anonymously if the were. Like HIMbeats said, this is the music business. A performers ability to conduct business will ultimately determine how successful they are. However, performers who use popular and well known beats are generally looked down on in the performance world. I don't think it would be likely that an artist would get a fair listen when using popular beats. To me, it shows that the person wasn't willing to $10 on a leased beat.

A&R people make mistakes and pass up hits, just like everyone else. It's the A&R's job to generate profit for the music company they work for. They do this by finding performers who are able to sell downloads, t-shirts, and more to their fans. This is the natural order of conducting business from what I've learned. Record labels compete for musicians who are doing well, and will usually be the last people to arrive at the table.

It's in all musicians best interest to structure their creations as a product to be sold through their business. Learn who your audience is, find out what they want, and give it to them. People will love you for it and the result will show in your PayPal. Sign a record deal when you're unable to handle the audiences demands yourself. Record labels help with exposing you to audiences that you may or may not have heard about, yes. But don't depend on them for every aspect of your music career. Show people that you can handle your own, so they can focus on doing the same. Everyone eats when everyone works.

Back