Thinking of selling beats online: Where to invest first 200 bucks firsT?

CM03

Hey I'm looking to invest some money in advertising for my beats and building my own website. I have read multiple people recommend making your own website to promote your beats and I have noticed most use a flash store on their website from either BeatStarz of Myflashstore. Is this the best way to go?

Also what do you think of investing in google rankings? TY

A flash store is good.

Your own website is even better...

But you're still gonna need traffic....

And you've already hit your $200 limit...

Whats next??

-------

Here's a little advice from somebody who was in your shoes a decade ago.

You need a plan.

You need to draw out a realistic plan and stick to it.

So before you go throwing out $200 at whatever do yourself a favor and take some time to just sit down and draw up a plan with realistic measurable goals.

It should look something like:

The annual cost of a flashstore is xxxx. The annual cost of a website, hosting, domain name, is xxxx. etc..

I need xxxxx to really make this happen.

Now I have x amount of dollars I need to Buy a domain, hosting, website script, etc. (research this stuff)

Soundcloud has tons of traffic so I'm gonna buy premium Soundcloud account for 1 year because of x,y and z.

I'm gonna build up my online and physical presence by doing x, y and z (research this stuff too)

I also need time to work hard at perfecting my sound every spare chance I get. I have x amount of hours a day/week I can dedicate to this...

On this date x/xx/xxxx I will evaluate my progress and make adjustments, refine my approach, etc..

Good luck.

You're on the right track. Get a website and a mailing list. I can expand on this, just let me know.

Just to add to what SFTRAXX said, you may want to check out my blog post on SMART objectives. It may help you form a marketing plan which is basically what SFTRAXX was getting at.

The $200 will go straight on the website, by the way. Start saving some more moola!

Cheers,
Jordan

Hi,

Before I comment, let me state my experience so you get an idea of my background and my biases.

I sell sync licenses to music that i write. Essentially, instead of trying to sell music that I've already written, I'm paid to write new music, and then I hand over a sync license or negotiate a %.

My recommendation would be to buy a domain name ($12), use something like blogger, and then soundcloud as your portfolio. Yes, flash stores are very nice and fancy, but they're impersonal. Use a simple website.

To start with $200, I would say you're better off buying a video camera and getting an agent. Use social media as your promotion, just create a little hype around you and have fun.

I wouldn't recommend spending money advertising, or promotion. It's not good for a producer's image in my opinion.

It also depends where you live. I live in Los Angeles, where the agent/social media/sync rights works out.

Back