Thinking of Getting into Licensing

Prosthetic

The One-Armed Bastard
So my beat selling business has been somewhat slow right now, and I'm contemplating on going in a different direction. Perhaps licensing. I've always thought some of my music sounds the best without lyrics anyways lol. What are the money-making opportunities like in this biz compared to beat selling? I know the question might be a little vague, but I'm just trying to get a picture painted. I signed up with that modernbeats.com site but I'm kind of skeptical with those companies because I usually don't like middlemen involved in my business. Are those sites legit? If not, how do you find your clients?

I'm just looking for some useful tips to get started with. I browsed the articles in here and I havent really gotten the questions I needed answered. Whats your take on the licensing biz? Do you use those licensing websites or not? Just any helpful tips would be appreciated.

Last edited:
So my beat selling business has been somewhat slow right now, and I'm contemplating on going in a different direction. Perhaps licensing. I've always thought some of my music sounds the best without lyrics anyways lol. What are the money-making opportunities like in this biz compared to beat selling? I know the question might be a little vague, but I'm just trying to get a picture painted. I signed up with that modernbeats.com site but I'm kind of skeptical with those companies because I usually don't like middlemen involved in my business. Are those sites legit? If not, how do you find your clients?

I'm just looking for some useful tips to get started with. I browsed the articles in here and I havent really gotten the questions I needed answered. Whats your take on the licensing biz? Do you use those licensing websites or not? Just any helpful tips would be appreciated.

I focus a lot on licensing, myself. Instrumental Hip-Hop is actually in high demand, these days. However, I haven't found a legit way to land placements in that field without a middle man. I'm on ModernBeats, too. Only tried a couple with them so far - to no avail. Sites like Taxi and Broadjam require some membership fees, but you get what you pay for, there. They have huge client pools - but also many, many members who are trying to do the same thing we are. BUT, that's where I've seen the most success, so far (going this route for a little over 1 year, now). Other sites are more exclusive, and you'll have to "audition" for them before they will pimp your music for you. Just getting into a few of those, too. Sometimes, when a client selects your song, he MAY ask you for more, behind the back of the middleman, which is also great.

As for the "direct" route to music supervisors... I heard getting an IMDBpro account grants you access to those types of people.

The opportunities are real. The money can vary from $100 - $50,000, for the right placement. Of course, you will likely be splitting some of those sync fees with either the client's publisher, or whatever service you used to solicit the music. Sometimes, you'll get publishing rights too (especially when there's no sync fee, and you just get royalties), and you won't split with anyone.

Ya know.. with the whole "middleman" thing... Let's face it... A lot of media people have deadlines to hit with these Ads or TV spots.. or they have a lot of projects going on at once. They trust a company that can sift through a ton of songs and pitch the most useful ones - either through competitive review, or keyword and genre sorting (You'll have to fill out meta-data for your tracks like crazy). Maybe they need a Hip-Hop song with piano, or a Pop song with lyrics about Sunshine. They don't have all day to go searching aimlessly for the perfect fit.

If the clients are using the middleman, you need to get your music to the middleman. That's how I look at it, anyway. Part of business. Maybe one day, my name will be known throughout the media world, and people will hit me up direct, or hire me in-house. But until then, I'm gonna play the game.

Thanks for the input man. I guess I'll still give those services a try. We should keep it in touch bro. Seems like we both are pursuing the same damn thing lol.

I focus a lot on licensing, myself. Instrumental Hip-Hop is actually in high demand, these days. However, I haven't found a legit way to land placements in that field without a middle man. I'm on ModernBeats, too. Only tried a couple with them so far - to no avail. Sites like Taxi and Broadjam require some membership fees, but you get what you pay for, there. They have huge client pools - but also many, many members who are trying to do the same thing we are. BUT, that's where I've seen the most success, so far (going this route for a little over 1 year, now). Other sites are more exclusive, and you'll have to "audition" for them before they will pimp your music for you. Just getting into a few of those, too. Sometimes, when a client selects your song, he MAY ask you for more, behind the back of the middleman, which is also great.

As for the "direct" route to music supervisors... I heard getting an IMDBpro account grants you access to those types of people.

The opportunities are real. The money can vary from $100 - $50,000, for the right placement. Of course, you will likely be splitting some of those sync fees with either the client's publisher, or whatever service you used to solicit the music. Sometimes, you'll get publishing rights too (especially when there's no sync fee, and you just get royalties), and you won't split with anyone.

Ya know.. with the whole "middleman" thing... Let's face it... A lot of media people have deadlines to hit with these Ads or TV spots.. or they have a lot of projects going on at once. They trust a company that can sift through a ton of songs and pitch the most useful ones - either through competitive review, or keyword and genre sorting (You'll have to fill out meta-data for your tracks like crazy). Maybe they need a Hip-Hop song with piano, or a Pop song with lyrics about Sunshine. They don't have all day to go searching aimlessly for the perfect fit.

If the clients are using the middleman, you need to get your music to the middleman. That's how I look at it, anyway. Part of business. Maybe one day, my name will be known throughout the media world, and people will hit me up direct, or hire me in-house. But until then, I'm gonna play the game.

why haven't you jumped on a IMDBpro account....???

One for free hour of training/consulting click on the banner in the sig.
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve

prepare for christian oriented spam lol jk fatal notreallytho
ya'll bring up christ more than I do it seems like

Just joined your mailing list bro.
mines? are you Ross??
I'm going to be interviewing several ppl on licensing here in the coming week

Last edited:
why haven't you jumped on a IMDBpro account....???

I never said I didn't have an account. I've tried it. I just haven't had any luck "cold calling" them. Client needs are very specific with media licensing, in my experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay maybe we could setup a interview sir let me know Ian I'll pm with details

Last edited:
thanks for the list my clients will enjoy this

Is anybody still doing music licensing these days? Have any of you guys had any success from licensing your music? Are you generating royalties?

ya, a little bit ...but I just started, so a little advice would be helpful. Does this store look okay? Mainly, does the copyright stuff look okay? (it's all under "Song Leasing & Stem Packages")

Here's: Epsilon-144 | Shop
The leasing section is at the bottom.

Is the pricing and copyright stuff look okay? Is the "permission to use commercially, as long as they add vocals or remix the leased song" okay? And should I be selling custom songs with the entire copyright sold with it?

I've already sold one stem package for a $100 so it's looking good so far.

Last edited:
Back