thinking about becoming a manager/in house producer for a local artist

alxgry

What up guys? Anyone have experience with this type of thing? I hit a lick and one of the dudes at the spot happened to be a rapper and i was like well yo i make beats, showed him my website and everything. Him n his dude were feelin em (along with everyone else in the room) and he wanna talk about workin together and shit.

My thing is from being on these forums and reading in general and shit I know I know a lil more about the business side than he does. I havent looked into the artist side as much such as registering with BMI and ASCAP, getting distribution in itunes etc because im not an artist im a producer but I could easily easily read up.

Ive been wanting an artist to work with so i can perfect my engineering skills and what not. This dude is pretty good, hes got flow and rhymes and shit so we all know its not AS MUCH about talent as it is about grind.

So my question is how should I go about doing this? Obviously I have rather limited experience as far as the working with an artist and business side goes but I still dont want to work for free. At the same time though, dude is local and we're both coming up or whatever and neither one of us is caked up or anything. So how should I go about doing it? I havent talked to him about it this in depth yet, he just said hed wanna do a package deal on some beats and shit but i think i can help him go to the next level.

Especially because I have a lot of equipment. I got mics, and interface all that shit. Everything I need to make a good quality product (song).

Should I just write up some contacts? im sure i could find artist manager contracts...something that says i get x% of all income from the venture? That way we working together but I aint just workin to make him his money. Cause I guess id essentially be the recording engineer, and manager as far as promotion and gigs and shit. I mean obviously he can do some of that on his own but its always a help to have a team or whatever. I figure as far as the production tip goes Id just handle that like I would anyone esle, except i might give him cheap exclusives ($100 or so?) but sign for split royalties too because i wanna actually get his shit getting ascap or bmi or whatever money.

Hopefully you guys can take the time to read all that and some one who knows something about the situation can help. Heres some of him and his other group members music.

2Dope Music - YouTube

trillchroniclesoface's sounds on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

2Dope Music's sounds on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

What up guys? Anyone have experience with this type of thing? I hit a lick and one of the dudes at the spot happened to be a rapper and i was like well yo i make beats, showed him my website and everything. Him n his dude were feelin em (along with everyone else in the room) and he wanna talk about workin together and shit.

My thing is from being on these forums and reading in general and shit I know I know a lil more about the business side than he does. I havent looked into the artist side as much such as registering with BMI and ASCAP, getting distribution in itunes etc because im not an artist im a producer but I could easily easily read up.

Ive been wanting an artist to work with so i can perfect my engineering skills and what not. This dude is pretty good, hes got flow and rhymes and shit so we all know its not AS MUCH about talent as it is about grind.

So my question is how should I go about doing this? Obviously I have rather limited experience as far as the working with an artist and business side goes but I still dont want to work for free. At the same time though, dude is local and we're both coming up or whatever and neither one of us is caked up or anything. So how should I go about doing it? I havent talked to him about it this in depth yet, he just said hed wanna do a package deal on some beats and shit but i think i can help him go to the next level.

Especially because I have a lot of equipment. I got mics, and interface all that shit. Everything I need to make a good quality product (song).

Should I just write up some contacts? im sure i could find artist manager contracts...something that says i get x% of all income from the venture? That way we working together but I aint just workin to make him his money. Cause I guess id essentially be the recording engineer, and manager as far as promotion and gigs and shit. I mean obviously he can do some of that on his own but its always a help to have a team or whatever. I figure as far as the production tip goes Id just handle that like I would anyone esle, except i might give him cheap exclusives ($100 or so?) but sign for split royalties too because i wanna actually get his shit getting ascap or bmi or whatever money.

Hopefully you guys can take the time to read all that and some one who knows something about the situation can help. Heres some of him and his other group members music.

2Dope Music - YouTube

trillchroniclesoface's sounds on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

2Dope Music's sounds on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

managing and becoming someone's go to producer is a great situation to learn
fake it to your make it

if you need some help on what you should do you can click on the banner in my sig and I'll spend a hour going over what steps you need to take

but you can always google and make your own plan..and search on this forum

The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve

Back