Is there copyright on phrases and names ?

S

stvaneck

For my song I want to use the phrase "this ain't jazz", I was wondering if I can do this. I ran a search on the internet for this phrase and off course I got a few hits, one referring to an EP and one to a bandname: Jazz Band Hire | Hire a Jazz Band | Ain't That Jazz http://www.discogs.com/Jazz-Vandalls-This-Aint-Jazz-EP/release/163647
My song is EDM and I am planning to give it a name like "(This ain't) Jazz" or just simply "Jazz" and I'm going to use the phrase in my song itself. Can I legally do this?

names cannot be copyright look at the number of songs with variations of I want to love you and one I checked today was Josie (looking for a specific version of the Steely Dan song but found Blink 182 also had an unrelated song of the same name)

the way in which a title becomes copyrighted is in conjunction with the melody and words - though there are certain song titles you would be a brave individual to use for a totally new song, as they are so fixed in the collective view as being for a specific song e.g. hard day's night, please please me, sgt peppers lonely heart club band, rocky racoon are some that jump to mind

names cannot be copyright look at the number of songs with variations of I want to love you and one I checked today was Josie (looking for a specific version of the Steely Dan song but found Blink 182 also had an unrelated song of the same name)

the way in which a title becomes copyrighted is in conjunction with the melody and words - though there are certain song titles you would be a brave individual to use for a totally new song, as they are so fixed in the collective view as being for a specific song e.g. hard day's night, please please me, sgt peppers lonely heart club band, rocky racoon are some that jump to mind
Thanks for the info, now I know :)

I count a song/album called 'animals' by the following artists:

pink floyd -animals (album)
minilogue -animals album
martin garricks- animals
muse- animals
Maroon 5- animals
and that's just the ones i know: I'm sure there are plenty more
So no, its not copyright. The only thing is people may find it difficult to find yourtrack if it gets overshadowed by a more famous song with the same name.

Back