Are there any restrictions if you sign a publishing deal with a major record company?

JAMESUK

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about signing a music publishing deal as a songwriter with a major record company? If you are lucky enough to sign a music publishing contract with for example Sony Music ATV music publishing company does that mean you can only write songs for artists signed to Sony Music? Or do you have the freedom to write for artists on any record label?

This is something that has always puzzled me so any information regarding this issue is most welcome.

Many thanks.

Thanks bro.

Are you signed to a music publishing deal yourself? And are there any restrictions on which artists you can have recording your songs?

seriously the only answer to your original question is what does the contract state

however, rule of thumb, most publishers could care less who records your songs as long as they are recorded; it would be a different matter if you were signed to an artist to write exclusively for them, or if you were the artist and had signed a contract where you were prohibited from releasing songs you wrote via another label or from using your own name as was the case with love-symbol/the artist formerly known as/Prince

Thanks Bandcoach,

Someone told me that if you sign an exclusive music publishing agreement with for example Universal Music Group that you are only allowed to write for artists signed to the that particular record label. I was just trying to find out if its true or not. I might have to contact one of these record labels directly and speak to their music publishing department.

Thanks again.

It depends on the contract, but that would be extremely rare. The point of a publisher is to get "exploitations" (uses/recordings) of the song, so that the publisher and songwriter can make money. They are looking to get cuts (recordings) whenever they can. And due to copyright law, once a song has had its first official recorded release, anyone can record it provided they pay the statutory fee (usually through Harry Fox and now Limelight). So again, it is highly unlikely that a major publisher connected to a major label would see an advantage in that. Of course, read any contractual offers extremely carefully with full advisement from your attorney.

The opposite can be true, however. Meaning, if you signed with the Universal label as an artist, and you were also a song-writer, they might (usually will) try to force you to sign your publishing to Universal as well...

GJ

Thanks GJ,

For your informative response. What you say makes perfect sense. I know independent music publishing companies have no such restrictions but I was wondering about music publishing companies like Sony ATV who are attached to record companies. On one hand it makes sense for them to try and exploit their catalogue and have their songs recorded by all artists regardless of which label they are signed too but it would also make sense for them to restrict their own songs going to artists on other labels because they would be helping the competition.

Many thanks

Back