Taking crowdfunding/patreon/donation money while releasing unlicensed stuff for free?

Someproducer

If I produce and release songs in which I use samples (mostly samples that are edited so much that they can't really be identified anymore though) that I have no permission by the original artist to use am I gonna be fine if I take money/donations via Patreon?
This way people would not pay directly for the songs I release but only for me being an artist in general. It'd be considered donations I guess.

Would this be legal?

Sorry my friend. For the 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,th time here at FP-- It is illegal to use unauthorized samples. Period.

Now-- 10 people at least will chime in saying "Don't worry about it; you won't get caught." And, that may be true. Or not. But it is illegal, there is risk, and if you have morals/ethics/scruples, you should try to avoid it. It has _nothing_ to do with making money from it or not.

Also, it's generally (but not always) the artist that you need permission from. You need release from both the publisher and the record company/master owner.

GJ

Also, it's generally (but not always) the artist that you need permission from. You need release from both the publisher and the record company/master owner.
How likely is it to get such permission by the way?

Are you on social media? Try to contact people who do music clearances.

Limelight is defunct as of March 2015.

Last edited:
Ah, sorry. What I meant to type is "it is not the artist that you need permission from."
Publisher and Label.

GJ

Re: Easy or no? Depends on who controls rights, how popular the song is, and how much $$ you have available...

Last edited:
Back