Survey for working professionals!

drumsynth

Hello FutureProducers! My name is Andrew Dutcher, and I am an amateur engineer and musician.

I am writing a research paper for my business class on the topic of my dream job. I chose Audio Engineer/Studio Owner of course and I have some questions for all of the working professionals in the community.

I was hoping to get 5 minutes of your time to answer some simple survey questions. These questions were designed to be answered by working professionals in the Audio field to gain valuable insight into the industry. Please refrain from answering if you are just a casual home producer or musician.

the survey can be found by clicking this link. https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/2XKGL7J

Thank you very much for your time and insight. Andrew

PS. Wasnt sure the best place to post this, so I posted in Recording, Mixing and Mastering as well as the Music Industry forums, I hope thats okay, or I can delete one.

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm, weird it posted my thread without the formatting and It doesnt seem to like the way I edit it. Is there a trick to using "return/enter" to break up the text?

Survey For Working Professionals!

Hello FutureProducers! My name is Andrew Dutcher, and I am an amateur engineer and musician. I am writing a research paper for my business class on the topic of my dream job. I chose Audio Engineer/Studio Owner of course and I have some questions for all of the working professionals in the community. I was hoping to get 5 minutes of your time to answer some simple survey questions. These questions were designed to be answered by working professionals in the Audio field to gain valuable insight into the industry. Please refrain from answering if you are just a casual home producer or musician. the survey can be found by clicking this link. https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/2XKGL7J Thank you very much for your time and insight. Andrew PS. Wasnt sure the best place to post this, so I posted in Recording, Mixing and Mastering as well as the Music Industry forums, I hope thats okay, or I can delete one. PPS. I am not sure how to format the text in this post. Once I hit submit it took away all the formatting, can anyone help me out?

It has not gotten any better.

I guess part of the problem is that this is the entitled generation and they seem to think that everything they want should be provided for them and not get charged. I get calls all the time from people who want me to do mastering for them for $5.00 per song because they saw that price on the WWW.

I know money is tight in this area and for most of the world. I know people are watching their pennies or rubles or gilders but they still seem to have money for things like new cars and other luxury items. I guess because music does not have any intrinsic value anymore most people think that making it should also be for free.

Maybe it is time to stage a revolt and start telling it like it is. That $5.00 per song mastering you saw online is nothing more than a scam. They take your money throw your material though a plugin set for "stun" and send it back to you. The guy down the street who runs a recording studio and who does "mastering" knows nothing about doing it.

I know people here are reticent to tell people where they run into problems with "mastering" but maybe that is the only way people are going to learn who is good and who is just a scammer taking peoples money and providing nothing of any value in return.

I love the posts were someone says they took their material to a "real" mastering engineer (name never specified) and that he did a poor job on the material so the person writing the post says "so I took it home and did it myself and it sounds great" Of course they never post the before and after versions along with what the mastering engineer did so we can hear what was done.

I am getting more and more frustrated with people trying to get something for nothing while I have to spend big bucks to get my house or my car worked on.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/10533392-post1.html

Last edited:
It has not gotten any better.

I guess part of the problem is that this is the entitled generation and they seem to think that everything they want should be provided for them and not get charged....

Could be....

I think its more of a "if its digital (or can be replicated on a digital medium) , it should be free" kinda thing. :hmmm:

well yeah I can understand, this is my logic, being an art major. You cannot charge artists to make art, you have to charge the public to consume the art. The solution to this problem is hard to pin point, but I believe that's he basic crux.

You cannot charge artists to make art, you have to charge the public to consume the art. The solution to this problem is hard to pin point, but I believe that's he basic crux.

The solution is figuring out a way [that works for you] to become a gateway to the product and charging at the point of access.

Back