Starting Your Own Website - Advice Needed

makéman

Hey FP, I have been considering starting my own website for a few years now. I just want to be able to post music, videos, pictures, and have something simple that people can check out when they google my name. I'm not necessarily trying to sell beats, the site is more for promotion, but I may want to sell some beats in the future on the site.

Does anyone have advice on how to start up your own website? Suggestions for companies to use? Doing it yourself?

Please let me know your thoughts! I would appreciate any and all possible feedback.

Without disclosing the confidential side of the discussion, here's a recent checklist set of questions and some suggestions about hosting and domain name acquistion I had with a potential client. Not all of the following may apply to your situation and you should explore several options and opinions before settling on a web marketing approach.....

You want to have a full website under the banner of xXxXxXx.com
This domain name may or may not be available. Along with this domain name you should also acquire the .co, .net, .org, .info and .mobi extensions. You might also consider the .me, .name, .biz, .us and .tv extensions. All of the other extensions would be parked domains that would automatically redirect to the .com extension.
With the domain registrar that I use (been around a long time and are very reputable) the costs for such acquisitions (business expense) on a yearly basis are as follows:

.com.co.net.org.info.biz.us.tv.mobi.me.name
$14.99$12.99$14.99$14.99$2.99$9.99$9.99$29.99$11.95$9.95$14.95

It would be good to acquire the domain names for a period of 5 years, but that is a lot of initial outlay.
In my opinion going for a deal that includes a domain name in the cost of hosting is dubious, as in most cases the domain name belongs to the hosting company not you. Any future disputes surrounding support or even leaving that hosting company could result in the loss of the domain and your on-line identity.
Do your own research on this, but I do recommend dotster.com for this service.
Here is a link that has the search Dotster | Domain Registration and Website Hosting Enter your preferred domain name and explore the results
You will need to secure webhosting to support it. Webhosting deals are variable and some great deals at the outset will come back to bite you on renewal, charging almost triple what you initially paid.
I recommend and use WebHostingPad.com .
At $1.99 per month over a 5 year contract for a regular site and $3.99 per month over a 5 year contract for secure site access, they are hard to beat, they also offer a free domain name with the deal, so select something other than the dot.com extension to reduce your costs (certain extensions are not available under this deal).
If you intend to sell using paypal, you will need to expand your paypal account to be either a premium personal account or create a new business account. Remember that any costs are business expenses and are able to be written off against the cost of running the business
Generally you will require the following initial services
  • Graphic design
  • Application development
    • Mobile app eventually
    • Flash player
    • Related e-commerce integration
    • Editors for
      • player playlists
      • e-commerce price updates
  • Page development

And the following on-going services or training to do for yourself.

• Accessing daily and weekly analytics
  • Page re-development
  • Application upgrades
  • Editor upgrades
  • Blog development

Any purchasing for domain names, web hosting, etc needs to be done by you as for the most part you are the identified owner/contractor in the agreements that ensue from these purchases.

Last edited:
I'm actually using Piwik analytics, I like the interface more and I can upload it to my own server. I'm currently ranking for 546 keywords according to webmaster tools. But you don't see traffic from all 546 every single day. some of those keywords are extremely long-tail. I generally see traffic from about 30-50 different keywords every day. Doesn't sound like much, but some of them are high traffic.

Cool to know. I guess I am old school - Google Analytics. I don't go too deep into it but nice to know what I am ranking for, what pages are being spent on the most and how many returning/new visitors there are.

Does Piwik analytics cover those basis? Also, would like to check more of your beats out. You have a Soundclick page?

Not gunna lie... Tumble Blogs are pretty dope & easy to setup. I personally use Wordpress for my site, but Tumblr makes it easy, and there are a ridiculous amount of people on Tumblr... so if you have something worth sharing, it has some solid viral potential.

fiverr (dot) com/bmdubb/create-your-very-own-affordable-music-website-that-will-be-easy-to-manage I used this offer and did pretty well with it. You can even get a 25% discount on your hosting package. Change (dot) to a period.

I disagree The Best thing to do is get your own website and build of that why work hard driving traffic to other websites were theres competetion when you can drive them to your website were they hear just your beats. Once you get the traffic coming you will sell even if the beats are average

Totally agree with Hector2133 on this one. Having your own website is bar far the BEST option for you. You own it and are master of your own domain. You also never know what might happen to those other website, they could potentially disappear and all of your hard work will be for nothing.

Totally agree with Hector2133 on this one. Having your own website is bar far the BEST option for you. You own it and are master of your own domain. You also never know what might happen to those other website, they could potentially disappear and all of your hard work will be for nothing.

You could always focus on building traffic to your own website, then link out websites such as soundclick that reward you for traffic by putting you higher in the charts? As long as you have your central hub, there's really no way to lose.

thats my problem, i just started my beat selling website but i just started promoting and trying to get traffic. i am also looking for other good producers to cum to my site and sell there beats with me beatsqwad.com

Makeman,

You can try this right here. The good thing is that you realize you need a website. I think all artists need websites and should stop depending on free sites to help them along. It's affordable why not!

Back