Starting a sub label?

Bobcat

Future Producer
I see lots of people who have their own labels, which are sub labels of bigger record labels. It seems that this is the only way of surviving or reaching anything at all if you’re starting your own label, and I think it’s a pretty cool idea actually. Some of the major labels or also bigger indie labels have sometimes hundreds of sub labels. I don’t exactly how it would work… probably something like: the label promotes the sub label/music and artist(s) from the sub label, and gets something like 50% of all incomes.

But it would be good publicity, I mean the „big“ labels are the best thing ever out there, they have the money and therefore the ability to make lots of publicity. I read somewhere that the publicity for a Rihanna song costs around a million $, to make it a hit (basically to make people turn on the TV, Radio, internet and they would see Rihanna everywhere).

But I’m wondering… how would you start such a sub label? How would you get „accepted“ by a bigger label? Just sending some tunes and saying you’d like to create a label?

I think you need to present a whole campaign for something like this. Like, what image it should give, the music it will release, how it will work, etc. I would love to do this someday.

I see lots of people who have their own labels, which are sub labels of bigger record labels. It seems that this is the only way of surviving or reaching anything at all if you’re starting your own label, and I think it’s a pretty cool idea actually. Some of the major labels or also bigger indie labels have sometimes hundreds of sub labels. I don’t exactly how it would work… probably something like: the label promotes the sub label/music and artist(s) from the sub label, and gets something like 50% of all incomes.

But it would be good publicity, I mean the „big“ labels are the best thing ever out there, they have the money and therefore the ability to make lots of publicity. I read somewhere that the publicity for a Rihanna song costs around a million $, to make it a hit (basically to make people turn on the TV, Radio, internet and they would see Rihanna everywhere).

But I’m wondering… how would you start such a sub label? How would you get „accepted“ by a bigger label? Just sending some tunes and saying you’d like to create a label?

I think you need to present a whole campaign for something like this. Like, what image it should give, the music it will release, how it will work, etc. I would love to do this someday.

study Deathrow
study No Limit Records
study Tommy Boy Records
study Cash Money Records

what you do it make a whole lot of buzz and unit sales and you the owner will be approached for distributing deal from bigger level

now selling major units is a challenge in 2012
even though indie artists and indie labels can do very well from touring

I'll be running a production/song development division to my company that will be the launching pad for releasing music from my own signed artists
summer 2013 production/song development
summer 2014 signed artists music releases
rest of 2012 networking and building relationship that will support the things I want to do in 2013 and 2014

if you want to start a label you need to plan in detail if you plan on signing anyone besides yourself even if it's just you you need a concrete detailed plan my business plan continues to evolve overtime

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum
Music Business Professionals Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

Last edited:
Interesting! Thanks for the answer :) That’s going to be hard then, if you one would first have to make a lot of sales on his own.

The fact of the matter is, business is business. There's nothing easy about starting on, or keeping one going; and most of the time, no matter how much you company grows, you'll be forced to deliver results yourself. To even be on the radar of most labels, you'll need to generate the kind of sales that sustain personal living standards. In other words, the music needs to support your life and sustain your lively hood. As a matter of fact, personally, I'd be suspicious of anyone who tries to contract me without having large following.

Back