Starting A Record Label ? . . . Article

I'm still regularly viewing this thread since it was written in 2005 and helped me to build the record label I have nowadays. Some people say though that you should only create a record label if you have songs you can sell. Personally I believe that's wrong. You can create a label before you actually sell songs to distribute free songs because the concept of a record label enables you do carry it out in a professional way. However you should distribute songs for free for more than 3-5 years because if you don't release any official songs afterwards, they will not take you serious and believe you're just one of these millions of other people that are trying to make it. If you create a label to distribute free songs it should be part of a major music plan that includes the sale of songs at a later stage.

Long life dream - to be a self made man with my own SUCCESSFUL record label. Thank you for sharing you advice, i will definitely get back to this thread alot.

Such a benefitial read for anyone in the music industry, not just studio.

This is one of the most professional outlines I have seen to date, thankyou !!

One thing people forget is to perform live shows to engage an audience to find what works and what dosent. The figure you have to make it or be on the radio to perform shows and its the other way around, you have to be performing shows to get on the radio and make it.
:cheers:

i researched starting my own label for like a month, then i went to a lawyer after i got the dough to get it up and running and he had no idea what i was talking about. so i just put that one to the side for the time being.

Back