Starting A Label/Movement

TM Productionz

I know the title is kind of coming on strong but bear with me lol

I just wanted to know the legality aspect of getting together a little movement like an independent label/entertainment entity

I want to know the benefits of getting incorporated and getting logos and artwork trademarked, I'm learning about copyright but I need some guidance on starting a label and what steps I should take business wise in order to stay afloat.

Should I get an attorney? I'm gonna have a facility to serve as the home base to record the music so thats checked off, should I get in touch with BMI or ascap as far as royalties? What about signing artists? How do I make a contract for them so we both dont get F'd in the A or I dont get "Priority Recorded" With baseball bats? lol

And I also dj so how can I use that to my advantage?

Please add anything I forgot to mention as im completely new to this,thanks guys

Have no fear mate. Anyways a independent or commonly referred to as a indie label is just a limited liability company which is involved in the music business. So you basically need to form a limited liability company and give it a name such as TM Productionz.

You can reference here Music Business Article - How the Music Industry Works - Goldmidi
But first and foremost you have to hire a secretary because you can't form a limited liability company without a secretary and appoint yourself as a director.

Next you need to find a entertainment lawyer or attorney and you hire them full time employment or you go to a lawyer and have them draft a contract you will use to sign musicians, singers, rappers and djs.

Another thing yes you can start a record label in your basement but this doesn't looks professional you know what I mean. You need to acquire land and buildings or rent office space to make yourself look more professional.

As for ASCAP and BMI well that's only if you want ASCAP to be your publisher or PRO. I am not gonna go into details I am assuming you know the difference.

Back