Standard Record Label Staff Producer Contract Question

wildinout8

Hey FP fam - I have a general question for people who may have Record Label Staff Producer Agreements.

I already have two lawyers looking over a contract I was given since I am a musician and computer geek - not a lawyer, and the verbiage is confusing. But, from my initial reviews of the contract so that I can present the lawyers my questions I am wondering if certain agreements are standard.

Is it normal/unheardof (or even would you personally agree):

1. To grant exclusive rights to the Company all of your works whether they are just started or completely mastered?
2. To grant the complete right to distribute my name/likeness for promo in regards to the Company's biographical materials with my approval?
3. To receive 2/3's (two-thirds) of fees and/or advances related to amounts received by the Company?

I'm on Page 4 and these are just a few of the questions I've already come up with, but would appreciate any knowledge from the community regarding their experiences and dealings as a Record Label Staff Producer.

I'm in no way experienced in your situation, nor am I a lawyer - just so you know. I have signed "staff producers" for my label, but the contract was entirely unique, which included the fact they'd also act as solo artists too.

1. Yes and no, dependent on the specific rights. Generally, I imagine yes.
2. Yes, completely understandable from their standpoint, and yours.
3. Unsure which you're implying. 66.6% to you or to them? If they handle EVERYTHING, from the standpoint of the producer, I'd still want to take at least 70%... But then again, it would depend on the rest of the contract and the company themselves.

Hope I've helped. I imagine bandcoach will weigh in with some quality advise, when he gets the chance. He seems to have vast experience with the legal side of music.

Cheers,
Jordan

I'm in no way experienced in your situation, nor am I a lawyer - just so you know. I have signed "staff producers" for my label, but the contract was entirely unique, which included the fact they'd also act as solo artists too.

1. Yes and no, dependent on the specific rights. Generally, I imagine yes.
2. Yes, completely understandable from their standpoint, and yours.
3. Unsure which you're implying. 66.6% to you or to them? If they handle EVERYTHING, from the standpoint of the producer, I'd still want to take at least 70%... But then again, it would depend on the rest of the contract and the company themselves.

Hope I've helped. I imagine bandcoach will weigh in with some quality advise, when he gets the chance. He seems to have vast experience with the legal side of music.

Cheers,
Jordan

I appreciate the feedback!

3) Two-thirds would go to me...I don't mind since that is better than pretty much all music libraries.

Back