Splitting money in a DJ/Producer duo?

What's up people? I am in a DJ/Producer duo. I'm the producer. So far, we have split everything 50-50 from live shows. However, DJ thinks everything should be split 50-50, including the music I make. I don't feel the same way.

The way I see it, the only reason we get gigs is because I am a producer and there is original music to be played. I spend hours upon hours producing and engineering tracks. DJ doesn't do anything until he's at the booth. Still, I go 50-50.

Now, we don't have a record contract or anything, but I've been thinking if we are lucky enough to sign with someone, it may cause some problems: In all honestly, since I produce 100% of the music, I feel I deserve 100% of any royalties, and signing bonus (if any). DJ, of course, doesn't feel the same way.

DJ has absolutely no musical/production knowledge. I hold it back, but I cringe when DJ tries to take ownership of music he didn't make.

As far as I'm concerned, he is lucky to be getting 50% of anything. I'm not saying he deserves to be screwed, but he makes money because of me, and me only.

I know I probably sound like a prick and this isn't a fun subject to think/talk about. I'm just wondering what you guys think about this and how you would go about this kind of situation. Thanks for any input!!!

What's up people? I am in a DJ/Producer duo. I'm the producer. So far, we have split everything 50-50 from live shows. However, DJ thinks everything should be split 50-50, including the music I make. I don't feel the same way.

The way I see it, the only reason we get gigs is because I am a producer and there is original music to be played. I spend hours upon hours producing and engineering tracks. DJ doesn't do anything until he's at the booth. Still, I go 50-50.

Now, we don't have a record contract or anything, but I've been thinking if we are lucky enough to sign with someone, it may cause some problems: In all honestly, since I produce 100% of the music, I feel I deserve 100% of any royalties, and signing bonus (if any). DJ, of course, doesn't feel the same way.

DJ has absolutely no musical/production knowledge. I hold it back, but I cringe when DJ tries to take ownership of music he didn't make.

As far as I'm concerned, he is lucky to be getting 50% of anything. I'm not saying he deserves to be screwed, but he makes money because of me, and me only.

I know I probably sound like a prick and this isn't a fun subject to think/talk about. I'm just wondering what you guys think about this and how you would go about this kind of situation. Thanks for any input!!!

You need to do what you feel is right as there is no objectively "right" answer.

But some things to think about:

-what is he REALLY bringing to the table? is he an exceptionally charismatic guy who kids flock to see when he performs? Is he bringing some huge personality to the music that you are not able to bring?

-why are you making original music for him to DJ exclusively rather than making your own tracks to give to every other DJ out there to play in their sets?

-If you split ownership of the music you create with him, does he get all the benefit? If you guys "split up", he can still DJ with your music and can get money from other revenue streams created by your music... but what do you get? would you still get money from his DJ sets?

The thing is, your partnership (as you describe it) is not really for "your songs"... it is for the two of you as a "team"...

Maybe you split all money for everything while you are working together as a team, and if you dissolve that partnership you stop the split?

Or maybe you don't split 50/50?

If you made an album would it be "your" album? or would it be "yours and his" album?

You are both making money off of each other... you guys just have to figure out what your split is and how the split will work and/or change in different situations... or what happens if you "break up"... and how important each of you is to the party...

Also, if you guys stopped working together tomorrow, he could still use your music (just like any DJ spins a record) and he has to give you nothing... that's how DJ's work... they spin records from their collection.

And I presume he is not just playing "your" music... he likely plays other records, too... he doesn't get any money from those other artists, does he?

...and, to continue that line of thinking from the other perspective, he is doing a whole DJ set and "your" music is just likely a small part of that set... yout you get 50% of the money from the set.

Why do you even have a "producer/dj partnership" if he brings nothing to the music? Why not just be like every other artist and DJ where you make music and he spins it and neither of you share in the money? He spins your music like any other record... you are happy to have your music exposed to an audience and use that to gain popularity and turn that into greater success where you can make money from your music?

You need to think about your situation, why you are in this situation, what each of you brings of value to the situation, what will happen in every scenario, what will happen in the future, etc.

You need to do what you feel is right as there is no objectively "right" answer.

But some things to think about:

-what is he REALLY bringing to the table? is he an exceptionally charismatic guy who kids flock to see when he performs? Is he bringing some huge personality to the music that you are not able to bring?

-why are you making original music for him to DJ exclusively rather than making your own tracks to give to every other DJ out there to play in their sets?

-If you split ownership of the music you create with him, does he get all the benefit? If you guys "split up", he can still DJ with your music and can get money from other revenue streams created by your music... but what do you get? would you still get money from his DJ sets?

The thing is, your partnership (as you describe it) is not really for "your songs"... it is for the two of you as a "team"...

Maybe you split all money for everything while you are working together as a team, and if you dissolve that partnership you stop the split?

Or maybe you don't split 50/50?

If you made an album would it be "your" album? or would it be "yours and his" album?

You are both making money off of each other... you guys just have to figure out what your split is and how the split will work and/or change in different situations... or what happens if you "break up"... and how important each of you is to the party...

Also, if you guys stopped working together tomorrow, he could still use your music (just like any DJ spins a record) and he has to give you nothing... that's how DJ's work... they spin records from their collection.

And I presume he is not just playing "your" music... he likely plays other records, too... he doesn't get any money from those other artists, does he?

...and, to continue that line of thinking from the other perspective, he is doing a whole DJ set and "your" music is just likely a small part of that set... yout you get 50% of the money from the set.

Why do you even have a "producer/dj partnership" if he brings nothing to the music? Why not just be like every other artist and DJ where you make music and he spins it and neither of you share in the money? He spins your music like any other record... you are happy to have your music exposed to an audience and use that to gain popularity and turn that into greater success where you can make money from your music?

You need to think about your situation, why you are in this situation, what each of you brings of value to the situation, what will happen in every scenario, what will happen in the future, etc.

dvyce,

Many thanks for the awesome response!!! You've brought up a lot of good points. I don't really have anything at the moment to discuss, but you've given me some increased perspective and many things to think about. I'm sure we'll come to an agreement, and if not, live and learn. Bottom line, I can't let it get in the way of making music.

Thanks again! :cheers:

Last edited:
Back