Soundcloud Removing Groups on Monday! Your thoughts?

Epsilon-144

Musician and Producer
Soundcloud just sent out emails saying it's going to discontinue their 'groups' service on Monday? I personally like the groups and think they're very helpful in getting fan exposure.

It's not the best way to get fans, (I think this website is also very helpful), but it'll slow down exposure imo.

What are you thoughts about this? Do you use groups or not really?

Yesterday:
[h=2]Hey Eric,[/h]
We’re constantly looking for ways to make it easier for you to share your work and connect with new fans. As well as adding new features and updates, we review existing features to see if they’re still beneficial to you.
As we dug into the best ways for creators to connect with fans, we found that Groups aren't helping creators find an audience as well as reposts, curated playlists, or track recommendations.
With that in mind, we’ve decided to phase out Groups on Monday, August 22nd to make room for future updates. Until then, you can collect, like or repost the tracks you would like to save, and connect with your fellow Group members.
We’d love to hear your thoughts on how we can continue to improve your experience on SoundCloud. Send your ideas and feedback by replying directly to this email.
separator_v1.gif
"

A real bummer from my point of view. Still looking for some alternatives since i received the original "announcement" via mail , but (sadly) nothing compares to the soundcloud userbase yet. Groups were a great way to connect with a genre-driven community. I would say 75% of my relevant, non-spammy followers/plays/comments have been generated via groups.

Obviously artists like us are no longer the target audience for soundclouds business. Still waiting for an official statement, that explains the so called "best way for creators to share their work and connect with others". Because right now i don't see any. Sadly, i just renewed my pro account.

How will you guys try to compensate on that loss of reach for your new stuff? Any tips or ideas...?

I am with you, really sucks - i'm just a dude who makes some beats after work and it was great and easy way for me to reach out to people with similar taste.
Anyway... here is a official response the issue.

Official Response
Hey, this is Jami from SoundCloud. I work on the Creators team.
This was a tough decision for us. We tried a few times to improve Groups, but struggled with the way it was originally built, and often had to prioritize other features over Groups (we’re still quite a small team!).
In all honesty, Groups don’t perform well as we’ve not been able to invest in them. They were designed at a time when SoundCloud was much smaller, but now that the platform is used by more people they’re straining under the load, and often cause platform-wide instability.
Over the last few years, we’ve invested in enabling listeners and curators to share the music that they discover and love, and recommendation tools that help unearth music from both established and lesser-known creators - all of which have helped amplify creators further - but there is a clear gap for artists who are getting started, and are trying to get their music out there. We’re aware of this gap, and are exploring ways to help creators find their community and share their tracks, without listeners and curators becoming overwhelmed with incoming tracks.
Unfortunately, we haven’t been able to fill this gap fast enough, and maintaining Groups in their current state is making it harder for us to invest in new tools better suited to SoundCloud today.
We’ve seen some success with creators sharing their tracks to people they think will like them via messages, but know that the lack of messages on mobile also limits this.
It's hard to stop working on something in order to avoid spreading ourselves too thinly, especially when a lot of people really like this feature. I hope this provides a bit more background to the decision, and doesn't hurt your ability to connect with like-minded musicians and share your tracks too much.
We're taking all your feedback into account, and I hope we can find a way to improve upon things soon.
:finger:

i cant post link to the source because i am new here... but it was on soundcloud comunity site.

Last edited:
So they recommend sharing tracks through messages? I'll give it a shot, but I better get labeled as a spammer. :/ Thanks for sharing that in the post above.

I was pretty new to Soundcloud and was excited about all the groups I could join. Seemed like a great way to tailor what you wanted to listen to, and where you wanted to post. Very disappointing.

So they recommend sharing tracks through messages? I'll give it a shot, but I better get labeled as a spammer. :/ Thanks for sharing that in the post above.

yea, i dont go for it... i just dont feel good about asking random people to listen to my tracks and beg for a repost...
And for listeners... i'm not sure if an increase of reposts is a good thing for the personal stream.

Right, I agree. reposting puts some really random tracks in the new stream...I think labels are the purest way to go. If a team of people all help each other out, as a collective or a label.

Back